www.photomacrography.net :: View topic - Why so few women doing macro?
www.photomacrography.net Forum Index
An online community dedicated to the practices of photomacrography, close-up and macro photography, and photomicrography.
Photomacrography Front Page Amateurmicrography Front Page
Old Forums/Galleries

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Why so few women doing macro?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum and Community Announcements
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Macro_Cosmos

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simply because they aren't as interested.
One may also ask why there aren't many people at all in this niche of a niche market. It's highly technical, barrier of entry isn't at all low, and requires a lot of dedication. These are things not found in your average Joe.

I can also give an explanation with regards to IQ but I think it's better to not get caught in that. (Why are most CEOs and prisoners men? This can't just be a matter of interest...)

Everyone with an interest in this field regardless of innate features are welcomed anyway. I've explained this hobby to friends, they applaud my dedication, haha.
Adalbert

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello everybody,
The question is why so few women are active in the forum.
Maybe we are not polite enough (don't greet in the threads, don't give compliments, etc).
BR, ADi
Deanimator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I had to bet money, there are probably tons of women doing macro photography, but in academic and industrial settings such as biologists and industrial engineers. They would tend to interact with in-house subject matter experts and professional societies rather than public forums. They would be effectively invisible to people like us.
JohnyM

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, i dont know industry, but not sure what to think of science.

In my faculty there are 2 mans and 4 womens doing macro/micro photography. Other departments we work with do look similar in those proportions, althrough there are more male professors and more female doctors.

For science, commonly published images are of VERY VERY VERY low quality. Ie: often printed as something around 2cmx3cm in grayscale.
So 1 of those mans, and 4 womens are taking stereoscope / microscope photos, but when there is something "serious" - im the "go to" guy.

Practical science photography in mine POV:
-Printed publication could use in 90% cases thumbnail images, and in 10% cases - websize images.

-Posters and presentations oscillate around websize image.

-Analysis software often needs large, good images. When software is done with it, some images are forever stored, never to be looked upon again. 1-3 "lucky" shots are getting resized to thumbnail and printed.

-Online publishing accepts much better images.

-Highest IQ images are required when Professor is going to visit his rival/research partner/both and is going to brag about.

I wouldnt consider most bio-scientists as macro/micro photographers. They want barely acceptable image that was obtained in most hassle-free way and have a scalebar.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum and Community Announcements All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: