Geometrid moth (Aplocera praeformata)

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

JKT

Geometrid moth (Aplocera praeformata)

Post by JKT »

Here's an example of what I seem to photograph most of the time:
Full Size (2880 wide)

Canon 7D & EF 100L Macro
3x Yongnuo YN-560 III w. homemade diffuser
StackShot rail

I think I've finally gotten where I'm relatively satisfied with the results for the larger samples in the "Full size" linked above. The small ones I still need to solve. Minolta optics would likely have done that, but those are now somewhat rare... MP-E65 just isn't up to the challenge for 10 mm wingspan let alone partials.

Beatsy

Re: Geometrid moth (Aplocera praeformata)

Post by Beatsy »

JKT wrote:MP-E65 just isn't up to the challenge for 10 mm wingspan let alone partials.
Nice details and capture. I'm surprised by your last comment though. Although there are objectives and scanner lenses that beat the MP-E 65 for sharpness and resolution, I found it perfectly usable from 1x to around 3.5x. As sharp as the Canon 100mm L macro at least. You'd only need about 2.5x for the 10mm wingspan critters so the MPE should be ideal. Is it sharpness you find lacking, or something else?

Edit: here's a post including a couple of fly stacks done using the MP-E at 2x and 4.5x for reference (all full frame) http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... hp?t=31133

JKT

Post by JKT »

Thanks! My objective has been to standardize the process as far as possible - there are plenty of photographic subjects waiting.

As to the MP-E I would think the reason could be in one of two categories: Either my MP-E isn't as good as yours or I'm doing something wrong. :? So some more testing is in order.

One possibility would be vibration, which I assumed non-issue with MLU and 1/64 flash power.

Beatsy

Post by Beatsy »

JKT wrote:One possibility would be vibration, which I assumed non-issue with MLU and 1/64 flash power.
Well, you'd think flash would solve any vibration issues, but I've read several times (on this forum) that flash can cause butterfly scales to "twitch" due to the photoelectric effect. Not sure how strict you're being with required sharpness, but that could be a factor.

JKT

Post by JKT »

That is one discussion I had not run across so far - interesting ... and surprising. Intuitively I would not think it would affect the scales enough in full sample images, but that is not backed up by any facts. I need to find some of those threads.

As far as comparison to 100L goes I'm not too happy with that either when getting close to 1:1. The shown moth has a span about 35 mm, so the magnification on APSC is not too close to 1:1.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic