Question on Olympus BH-AAC condenser

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

enricosavazzi

Question on Olympus BH-AAC condenser

Post by enricosavazzi »

The Olympus BH-AAC is an achromatic aplanatic condenser for use with oil immersion objectives (NA up to 1.4). According to very scarce information I found it can also be used on BX infinity-corrected microscopes as a replacement for the U-AAC condenser.

I found mentions on the Internet of the fact that the BH-AAC can be equipped with an insert carrying a darkfield ring. While a metal darkfield ring for BH scopes (different from those for the Universal Condensers) is relatively common on eBay, I found no mention of whether this ring is directly mounted in the BH-AAC (and how to mount it), or it requires some additional mount/sleeve/carrier (the BH-AAC has no filter tray). Does anyone know?

At least in theory, the BH-AAC and/or the U-AAC might accept other accessories, like a DIC prism for oil immersion objectives (I have unconfirmed reports that a UIS condenser for water immersion does accept a single DIC prism, possibly in a similar way). If so, any information would be appreciated.
--ES

houstontx

Post by houstontx »

I used to have a bh-aac and i don't think there would be anyway to mount an insert or sleeve onto the outside because the bottom most plastic ring is the aperture adjustment. Theres nothing else to hold onto...

You could push something in from the bottom I suppose, if it is tapered properly. Like a cone with the insert at the tip

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

I have one, I'll post a pic later. No facilities such as are needed, I think.
Chris R

Saul

Post by Saul »

houstontx wrote:I used to have a bh-aac and i don't think there would be anyway to mount an insert or sleeve onto the outside because the bottom most plastic ring is the aperture adjustment. Theres nothing else to hold onto...

You could push something in from the bottom I suppose, if it is tapered properly. Like a cone with the insert at the tip
It could be done this way:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic