Colombian Choco part I

Images of undisturbed subjects in their natural environment. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

pbertner

Colombian Choco part I

Post by pbertner »

On location:

The Condota stub-footed toad (Atelopus spurrelli) is as elegant as a toad can be. Daintily proportioned and beautifully coloured, this Colombian endemic has a healthy population in the Colombian Choco, however, this species is particularly susceptible to environmental stress, and it remains to be seen how it will fare with global warming, and the more immediate threat of increased tourist traffic in the region, bringing with it exposure to more pathogens.

Fortunately the populations of El diablito (Oophaga histrionica) remain healthy in the Colombian pacific coastal forests surrounding Utria national park. However, with mated pairs fetching up to $500 in the pet trade, poaching is rampant, especially for the rarer colour morphs.

Anole:

Flowering tree:

Monkey grasshopper (Eumastacidae) hangs out on a blade of grass. Its powerful 180 degree legs primed to jump at a moment's notice.

Snail:

Crab orbweaver (Micrathena sp.):

Dense vegetation erupts from the various islands which dot Colombian pacific coastline, perhaps not surprising considering that this is the wettest place in the world, receiving on average a whopping 400 inches of rain per year, and up to 523 inches! Camera equipment, clothes, health, this place takes its toll!

Thanks for looking and commenting,
Paul

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

Thanks for showing us something of another remote and special place I'd never heard of.
Chris R

Beatsy

Post by Beatsy »

Love these series you post. Context shots really add to them too. Thanks.

leonardturner

Post by leonardturner »

Many great images, exotic to my eye. Was the last shot from your drone or from a plane?

Howard Mayo

Post by Howard Mayo »

Another excellent set of images. You really do great work. Thanks for sharing.

pbertner

Post by pbertner »

Thanks Chris, Beatsy, Leonard and Howard, much appreciated.

Leonard - The last is a drone shot (Mavic Pro I)

Beatsy - Thanks, I like to try to present a cross-section of the environment, shooting fungi, plants, birds, mammals, herps, insects, pretty much anything I I think I can shoot well.

santiago

Post by santiago »

Nice pics, great capture of that Monkey grasshopper.
Santiago
Flickr

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic