Anyone have spare parts for OMAX V434B stereo microscope?

Interested in used equipment to buy, sell, or trade? Post here to find other members with matching needs. Personal equipment only, no dealers please.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Rylee Isitt

Anyone have spare parts for OMAX V434B stereo microscope?

Post by Rylee Isitt »

My personal stereo microscope seems to have developed a serious fault over the last few years: delamination of the silvering on the pentaprisms for both eyepieces. This has resulted in a rather fogged image, particularly in one eye. In truth I noticed some delamination from the very first day I owned the unit, but it seems to have gotten much worse this summer. I think the high heat and humidity might have had some effect...

It's one of those semi-cheap units from AmScope/microscope.net, an OMAX trinocular stereo microscope. Here's a review with photos of the unit: http://web.ncf.ca/jim/misc/v434b/

I will perhaps attempt to re-silver the prisms (kits are available to re-silver mirrors), but have no idea how difficult it is to achieve the optical quality necessary for a microscope. Maybe dead easy... maybe not.

If anyone has kept parts of such a microscope around, particularly the head, see if the image transmitted through the prisms appears relatively spotless. If so, you may have a buyer.

Thanks!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic