www.photomacrography.net :: View topic - Firefly
www.photomacrography.net Forum Index
An online community dedicated to the practices of photomacrography, close-up and macro photography, and photomicrography.
Photomacrography Front Page Amateurmicrography Front Page
Old Forums/Galleries

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Firefly

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Technical and Studio Photography -- Macro and Close-up
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Olympusman

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:08 pm    Post subject: Firefly Reply with quote

Photinus genus firefly

I actually like the pin for scale.
Beatsy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting critter. But only you know how big the pin is! And as an aside, that has to be the bluntest pin I ever saw Smile

I went through lots of options searching for decent, sharp pins in the past. It's surprising how tough the carapace of flies and the like can be when they're still fresh (out of the freezer). If you're not careful, trying to push a pin in can often crush the critter quite a bit before the point penetrates, risking damage to other parts of the insect in the process. I settled on black entomology pins in the end (expensive for what they are - but the best solution I found). I still find it best to sharpen them further before use though. Just a few gentle rubs on a 20,000 grit waterstone does the job. They practically glide in after that.
Olympusman

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:48 am    Post subject: Blunt pin Reply with quote

I have a number of pins glued to different thicknesses and lengths of pipe cleaner That I glue to insect. One the stacking photography is done, I might harvest the specimens for wings, legs, etc. That means later I shave the carcass of the pin for reuse, the pins get blunted.

Mike
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Technical and Studio Photography -- Macro and Close-up All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: