Female Emperor Dragonfly

Images of undisturbed subjects in their natural environment. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

dunksargent

Female Emperor Dragonfly

Post by dunksargent »

Female Emperor Dragonfly (Anax imperator) photographed at Langdyke Countryside Trust's, Swaddywell Pit Nature Reserve, Peterborough, UK. Pre-focused above the ovipositing insect to capture the wing movement after it 'took off '. Dragonfly is approx 78mm in length with a 106mm wingspan. Image is slightly cropped.

Tech. details: Leica SL fitted with manual focus Novoflex 600mm f8 Noflexar plus Leitz APO 2x extender (thus 1200mm) at a distance of approx 5m … the Novoflex built-in bellows enabling relatively close-focus. Lens stopped down by ½ stop thus effective f19 … ISO 1600 1/640sec. Camera and lens secured via Jobu Design gimbal on a Gitzo tripod. The Noflexar 600mm f8 is a 2 element achromat 'long Tom' i.e. not a telephoto design and is approx 50 years old … as used by sports and wildlife photographers during the 1960s; the Leitz 2x APO extender (not visible in the photo but fitted behind the bellows via an adapter) is a 7 element design.

Note the Emperor Dragonfly is the only European anisoptera exhibiting a curved abdomen whilst flying … useful aid to identification. The hind wings are almost stationary compared to the forewings; dragonflies can operate each wing independently. Aeronautics engineers study dragonfly wings' 'mechanics' with a view to improving aircraft wing design.

Best wishes

dunk
Last edited by dunksargent on Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:18 am, edited 11 times in total.
And now for something completely different.

leonardturner

Post by leonardturner »

"Completely different" indeed! I've never seen a shot quite like this; very nice. Can you give us some of the technical details? Any chance there was a sequence, with other shots showing other wing positions?

In any event, I like it a lot.

Leonard

dunksargent

Post by dunksargent »

leonardturner wrote:"Completely different" indeed! I've never seen a shot quite like this; very nice. Can you give us some of the technical details? Any chance there was a sequence, with other shots showing other wing positions?

In any event, I like it a lot.

Leonard
Thank you Leonard … it's an ongoing project and this was one of the first attempts at capturing the dragonfly in flight. Using the long lens does not disturb the insect and it also enables a low angle approach by virtue of the relatively long, lens to subject distance.

dunk

Troels

Post by Troels »

Very clever done. Dragonfly in flight with manual focus!
Troels Holm, biologist (retired), environmentalist, amateur photographer.
Visit my Flickr albums

dunksargent

Post by dunksargent »

Two more from the same trip using same camera /lens at approx same 5m distance:

Male Emperor Dragonfly resting between 'sorties' over the pond … torn wings likely result from frequent intruder encounters when defending territory. The specimen returned to the same and adjacent perches through the afternoon.

dunk

dunksargent

Post by dunksargent »

Same Female Emperor Dragonfly ovipositing

Leica SL 601 Novoflex 600mm f8 Noflexar, plus stacked Leitz APO R 1.4x and 2x extenders (effective 1680mm f22); magnification on sensor approx. 0.5 … specimen is approx 80mm in length.

dunk

MarkSturtevant

Post by MarkSturtevant »

Beautiful pictures! I am especially entranced by dragon pix. These are very striking.
Mark Sturtevant
Dept. of Still Waters

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic