Strobe Trigger Problem

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

mawyatt

Strobe Trigger Problem

Post by mawyatt »

I was working on getting a setup running today and wanted to use MJKZZ new Stand Alone Controller. I wired up the controller to my D850 with a couple cables (stretch coiled and long extension cable) and another long cable to my Adorama Studio Strobe 300 II (Godox SK300II) external sync input.

I couldn't get the strobe to fire using the Stand Alone Controller and tried different cables and other strobes. The only way I could get the strobe to fire was using the Adorama R2 RF remote triggered by the Controller with a sync cable. After some time I traced the problem down to type of cables used. The strobe placed the trigger voltage (~ 4.7 volts) between the external trigger input connector center pin and the next ring on the connector, not the base ring ground pin on the dual conductor cable!! So the Controller was shorting the center pin to the base but the strobe wasn't firing because the second ring wasn't getting grounded!! The reason the RF trigger worked was because the old sync cable uses only a center pin and ground base single conductor cable and the trigger was being done with RF rather than the external sync input on the Studio Strobe (has built in RF).

You may already know this, but I didn't or maybe just forgot!! Only single center conductor connector & cables should be used for sync trigger, not the popular dual conductor type. Fortunately I have a couple adapters that I was able to use that short the second ring to the base of the dual conductor cables, thus creating an effective single conductor cable assembly.

Going to order some single conductor cables soon, so I don't get bit by this again :roll:

Hope this helps someone having trouble with sync cables triggering strobes and other items.

Best,
Research is like a treasure hunt, you don't know where to look or what you'll find!
~Mike

mjkzz

Post by mjkzz »

Ah, OK, I have been using 3.5mm to PC, PC to Hotshoe, and Godox wireless trigger. After trying it with a 3.5 stereo cable, yeah, it does not work, it seems my Godox SK400 is doing what you described -- it is using middle ring of stereo plug. I guess Godox wants to make money on proprietary cable where a standard stereo cable will not work, well, for those who does not skills like you do to figure it out. I think maybe I will short both rings in the future.

mawyatt

Post by mawyatt »

Peter,

This drove me nuts, well maybe I'm already there :roll:

I think Godox is using a connector that has the ground contact higher on the plug and thus on dual contact plugs the Godox connector makes ground contact to the 2nd plug ring, not the base as it should :shock:

Your image shows a single conductor plug which is what works. I have all these dual "Stereo" 2.5mm and 3.5mm plug & cables, now I need to get single conductor versions :?

Best,
Research is like a treasure hunt, you don't know where to look or what you'll find!
~Mike

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic