What Canon dslr for Macro

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Cuzin

Post by Cuzin »

My first post... I have a few Canon EF macro lenses (180MM & MP-E 65mm) and an old 20D dslr. I want to upgrade to a newer Canon mainly for macro photography. No set budget. Your thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Cuzin

Beatsy

Post by Beatsy »

That's a pretty wide brief. Frankly, moving up from the 20D, any Canon DSLR from the 7dMk 1 (APS-C) or 5d MkII (full frame) and later models, will be a big jump up and perform perfectly with the macro lenses you have.

Deanimator

Post by Deanimator »

I'm currently using a T4i which I bought used a couple of years ago. I'm pretty happy with it.

Next year I might buy a 77D for the improved features.

cube-tube

Post by cube-tube »

Full frame vs. APSC is something that you probably want to think about. Full frame will give you better center sharpness and better low-light performance, but also lower magnification, more vignette, and sometimes lower corner sharpness. If you're thinking about doing super quick stacks with live specimens in the field, then the higher burst rate of an APSC camera like the 7D might be beneficial as well. I have been working with a Canon 6D, which has worked very well for microscopy as well as other types of nature and landscape photography.
Stacking puts a lot of shots on a camera, and APSC cameras also tend to have slightly better shutter life than comparable full frame cameras (in the range of 200,000 vs 150,000), so that may be another consideration.
Something like the 80D or 77D would be a good, cheaper alternative to a 6D, 7D, or 5D.
In general, though, the body will probably not be the limiting factor in the resolution of your setup. It often makes sense to invest as heavily, if not more heavily, in better, faster strobes, quality micrometer rails, better optics, etc., so it doesn't always make sense to buy the most expensive, feature-rich body you can afford, unless that's what you really want. I have a 6D but, with my current setup, I would trade it in for a 60D with better lighting in a heartbeat.

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

Hi Cuzin, welcome to the forum!

I did the jump from 20D to 7D several years ago and it's a big improvement: not only more megapixels (and speed, viewfinder, AF, etc) but also some even more important features for macro:
Live view and silent shutter mode, what we call EFSC almost vibration free, easy to have tethering with live view at the computer and a very efficient sensor anti-dust system.

Just one added point: for studio work with continuous illumination don't buy the 60D,70D or 80D because they produce more vibration than other Canons, being the 60D the worse.

Lower series models like 500D and upwards also are convenient.
Pau

perdu34

Post by perdu34 »

Anything from the Canon 5D range is built like a tank. If you plan to do a lit of stacking then that build quality is something to keep in mind. A second-hand canon 5DIII (or 5DII) is a solid start and has good non-macro functions too.

The M series is also pretty good and the mirrorless bodies have some great advantages over the SLRs thanks to them being vibration free. The mirrorless camera tend to be cheaper too.

If I were buying buying new and had no budget worries, I'd scrap Canon and go with the Sony A7r III and get adapters for my lenses. I'm likely to do that after the next Sony comes out and my 5DIII is a little older.

pierre

Post by pierre »

I recently had the EOS M50 in order to test the silent view, since this is the first Canon body with this capability + allow to tether via USB using EOS Utility.

Unfortunately, the silent mode is only available in SCN mode (auto)+ it does not allow to use the body without lens connected, even if this is possible in manual mode..

Had to send back the body without a single shot taken :(

Maybe Canon will allows a manual EFS along AND exotics adapters at the same time on a coming model ?
Regards

Pierre

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

Pierre, that's interesting -and sad-
Few years ago Canon cameras were the obvious choice for many macro shooters but they seem to run in the wrong direction (sensors below the competence, vibrating EFSC and now this stupid limitations...)

Did you test it with a chipped adapter?
Those chips try to emulate a Canon lens providing info to the camera that is shown at EXIF.

Most of the adapters I use with my old trusted 7D are unchipped, but recently I bought one chipped. Unfortunately it only fools the camera partially: the fake EF 50mm 1.4 lens shows at EXIF but Canon DPP doesn't recognize it to allow lens corrections (the only reason why I bought it chipped)
Pau

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

Unfortunately, the silent mode is only available in SCN mode (auto)+ it does not allow to use the body without lens connected, even if this is possible in manual mode..
OH for heaven's sake #-o !!
But thank-you for the info, Pierre.
Chris R

RobertOToole

Re: What Canon dslr for Macro

Post by RobertOToole »

Cuzin wrote:My first post... I have a few Canon EF macro lenses (180MM & MP-E 65mm) and an old 20D dslr. I want to upgrade to a newer Canon mainly for macro photography. No set budget. Your thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Cuzin
After some issues with something in the mirror box creating hotspots (not to mention white balance issues with flash that I found with all my Canon bodies) I sold my 70D about a year ago and went with a Sony A6300 with adapters for my Canon lenses.

Ignore what equipment a professional photographers endorse and instead look at what they shoot with personally. I haven't shot with a Canon body for macro work in over a year.

The Sony is really very easy to work with and the image quality is fantastic, and my Canon lenses all work great on my Sony with the Sigma MC-11 adapter (Canon EOS mount to E-mount).

Robert

pierre

Post by pierre »

Dear Pau,

I am afraid, not having a chiped adaptor for the test.
well, no manual mode was discriminent for me so the camera was sent back to Canon right after.
Last edited by pierre on Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards

Pierre

pierre

Post by pierre »

I also have a Sony A6300 on the way Robert ;)
Regards

Pierre

sweedlepipe

Post by sweedlepipe »

Honestly? Get a Sony and adapt the lenses. The EVF and vibration-free shutter options alone are worth it. EVF in particular is a game changer when it comes to macro, because you can actually see what's going on whereas DSLRs force you to shoot either in utter darkness or with an open aperture so you can't see depth of field.

Beatsy

Post by Beatsy »

sweedlepipe wrote:Honestly? Get a Sony and adapt the lenses. The EVF and vibration-free shutter options alone are worth it. EVF in particular is a game changer when it comes to macro, because you can actually see what's going on whereas DSLRs force you to shoot either in utter darkness or with an open aperture so you can't see depth of field.
Be careful with that. Most Canon to Sony adapters except Metabones IV and V in "smart mode" will emulate a Canon camera in that regard (in my experience). The aperture won't stop down until the shutter is triggered. This with Canon's MP-E 65 and 100mm f/2.8 L macro lenses. I tried a couple of cheaper adapter options (fotodiox and another that I forget the name of) and only the Metabones would work as required (focus at "taking aperture").

JH

Post by JH »

I belive in buying a few but good objectives and usually recomend lenses that can be used with a FF sensor. Camera brand is a question of taste, what you already invested in and sometimes new features that one brand implemented before the others. But there will always be new and interesting features.

I enjoy using my Canon 6d and 5d II, with microscope, in studio and outdoor.

With the macro 100mm and the mp-65 Canon’s own program -DPP- take care of lens corrections. Tethering is easy, no problems with Zerene, there is a useful AC adapter for studiowork and sometimes I use the Mr 14 ex ring flash etc.

The 5dIIs (only?) advantage over the 6D is the possibility to WB a flash picture. This is useful for me because the diffusers I use slightly alters the colour of the flash light.

I think that bott the 6D and the 5d II can be found at a reasonable price second hand.

On my wish list today is a FF camera with more megapixels for outdoor use - and a dustfree sensor :)

In the future there will be new features. The latest cellphone I bought to a family member can film a short low res movie at 960fps. My action camera can do focus stacking. With more computer power there will be focus stacked, high resolution slowmotion video... and more.
Best regards
Jörgen Hellberg
Jörgen Hellberg, my webbsite www.hellberg.photo

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic