Free CAD Software Wanted

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Macro_Cosmos

Free CAD Software Wanted

Post by Macro_Cosmos »

Hi everyone!

My macrography setup is near completion, I just need some custom made adapter plates for the various stages I have.

I have access to Solidworks, since my university offers it for "free" (which I use loosely, since I pay uni fees). It seems like a massive learning curve however.

All I need to do is design some plates with threaded holes and unthreaded mounting holes, nothing overly convoluted. I'm thinking about the old pencil-paper route, but can't really be bothered. Software should be easier for quality control. Oh, I also have no compass to draw out smaller circles.

Before anyone mentions "DIY", I'm not going to use wooden planks. I also have no access to raw aluminium sheets, and I have no machining skills, neither do I have any hardware to get the plates made. Some of the plates I need require very small through holes, 4-40 threaded/unthreaded to be exact, being a rather clumsy person, I highly doubt I can reach such a precision in my garage.

I have a source that makes reliable adapter plates at a reasonable rate, happy to do business with them. They offer anodising as well... no clue how to do that in my own house.

Paid software would be ok as well, as long as it's not extremely costly.

mjkzz

Post by mjkzz »

Google SketchUp is pretty good. it was started by Google, now I think it is a separate entity.

Macro_Cosmos

Post by Macro_Cosmos »

mjkzz wrote:Google SketchUp is pretty good. it was started by Google, now I think it is a separate entity.
Thanks! I will check them out.

Smokedaddy

Post by Smokedaddy »

Fusion 360 ... it's free. Will do more than you'll ever need. Parametric designs too. Lot's of tutors on Youtube and forums to ask for help. There's also OpenSCAD if you're the programming type (parametric as well). Many others out there too.

https://www.autodesk.com/products/fusion-360/overview

http://www.openscad.org/

-JW:

anoldsole

Post by anoldsole »

Fusion 360 for sure. I use it for all my simple macro adapter needs. Intuitive program, easy to pick up, and lots of tutorials on how to use it for when you run into trouble. All for the low price of $0.00 for a hobbyist!

I used sketchup prior to switching to 360, it was great but lacked some of the power I wanted which I found in fusion. For instance, making holes correctly is absurdly easy in 360. I took a run at solidworks but it felt too assuming and powerful for the simple things I was creating.

Macro_Cosmos

Post by Macro_Cosmos »

Smokedaddy wrote:Fusion 360 ... it's free. Will do more than you'll ever need. Parametric designs too. Lot's of tutors on Youtube and forums to ask for help. There's also OpenSCAD if you're the programming type (parametric as well). Many others out there too.

https://www.autodesk.com/products/fusion-360/overview

http://www.openscad.org/

-JW:
anoldsole wrote:Fusion 360 for sure. I use it for all my simple macro adapter needs. Intuitive program, easy to pick up, and lots of tutorials on how to use it for when you run into trouble. All for the low price of $0.00 for a hobbyist!

I used sketchup prior to switching to 360, it was great but lacked some of the power I wanted which I found in fusion. For instance, making holes correctly is absurdly easy in 360. I took a run at solidworks but it felt too assuming and powerful for the simple things I was creating.
Thanks! I will check Fusion 360 out as well, a cost of $0.00 is always great :)
All I need is a rectangle with some holes.

Chris S.
Site Admin

Post by Chris S. »

Null data is rarely interesting, but here goes: A free CAD program I recently spent many hours trying, after reading positive reviews, was LibreCAD: A free, open-source 2D CAD application for Windows, Apple, and Linux. Last winter, I spent several days designing a 2D adapter in LibreCAD. While I did successfully design and fabricate the part using this program, I found LibreCAD buggy, poorly documented, and incredibly annoying. I spent so many hours puzzling out software problems that I'd have much preferred to pay for a CAD program that behaved predictably. Based on this experience, I neither recommend LibreCAD nor intend to use it again.

Afterward, I installed AutoCAD on my computer. Have played with this software only a bit, but have so far been impressed with its lack of bugs and wealth of tutorials and support. This said, AutoCAD is expensive. I've not had occasion (though I soon will) to use this program to design a part for fabrication. Based on discussion in this thread, Fusion 360 seems a strong candidate due to its price (free to hobbyists). I have zero experience with Fusion 360.

But for anyone who values time, I'd suggest also looking at AutoCAD.

--Chris S.

Macro_Cosmos

Post by Macro_Cosmos »

Chris S. wrote:Null data is rarely interesting, but here goes: A free CAD program I recently spent many hours trying, after reading positive reviews, was LibreCAD: A free, open-source 2D CAD application for Windows, Apple, and Linux. Last winter, I spent several days designing a 2D adapter in LibreCAD. While I did successfully design and fabricate the part using this program, I found LibreCAD buggy, poorly documented, and incredibly annoying. I spent so many hours puzzling out software problems that I'd have much preferred to pay for a CAD program that behaved predictably. Based on this experience, I neither recommend LibreCAD nor intend to use it again.

Afterward, I installed AutoCAD on my computer. Have played with this software only a bit, but have so far been impressed with its lack of bugs and wealth of tutorials and support. This said, AutoCAD is expensive. I've not had occasion (though I soon will) to use this program to design a part for fabrication. Based on discussion in this thread, Fusion 360 seems a strong candidate due to its price (free to hobbyists). I have zero experience with Fusion 360.

But for anyone who values time, I'd suggest also looking at AutoCAD.

--Chris S.
I have the same feeling after fiddling with some well rated freeware. I mean, it's free, which is good enough. Can't expect too much. There are good freeware but those are loaded with ads. and bundled with other junk which pisses people off, but the labour isn't free.

My uni offers many CAD software for download. I guess I should just learn them at this point. It could also be a useful asset after I graduate, since I'm in a similar field anyway.

Smokedaddy

Post by Smokedaddy »

... since your project is rather simple, a pencil and paper drawing at 1:1 seems a lot more logical than learning a CAD program unless your discipline eventually utilizes it 'or' you have a need for learning it for other purposes (modeling, 3D printing etc.). BTW all software, CAD or otherwise, are substantially discounted for students and in some cases free. I started using AutoCAD back in the 80's, excellent program. It's a industry standard in my field. All you have to do is register online, enter all the data Autodesk is asking for, university url etc., and you're all set. The license should be good for 3 years.

Macro_Cosmos

Post by Macro_Cosmos »

Smokedaddy wrote:... since your project is rather simple, a pencil and paper drawing at 1:1 seems a lot more logical than learning a CAD program unless your discipline eventually utilizes it 'or' you have a need for learning it for other purposes (modeling, 3D printing etc.). BTW all software, CAD or otherwise, are substantially discounted for students and in some cases free. I started using AutoCAD back in the 80's, excellent program. It's a industry standard in my field. All you have to do is register online, enter all the data Autodesk is asking for, university url etc., and you're all set. The license should be good for 3 years.
The problem with pencil and paper is pencil 404, I do not use pencils... in fact I kind of really hate pencils. I do electrical engineering and have mathematics as a submajor, learning these software should be useful in the future. I'd like to work in the field of industrial cameras and automation. Seeing each component listed on thorlabs and Newport includes CAD files, I guess I should just learn it. I struggled with even reading them when I picked up this (extremely expensive) hobby. :D

Smokedaddy

Post by Smokedaddy »

... check this out (in case you're not aware).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHfe_b_vyG0

-JW:

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

I use PowerPoint for all my cad work. It's actually a nice little cad package. Of course you need to have it installed, and it's not free, unless you have access (no pun intended).

Andy

Post by Andy »

Hey People, If you are struggling to model a plate with a few holes you are going to struggle with any CAD software. The initial sketch on a plane for the part will require you to use a rectangle tool - click and drag to drop the other corner. Then at simplest select the circle tool - click and drag to set radius. Repeat as required for number of holes. Now that the sketch is completed extrude or pad to thickness. Job done! Having never done a flat model before with FreeCAD (new to Linux also) I decided to have a quick play to make such a model - fully defined with dimensions - ever so easy - see pics. This is total overkill really as all that is needed is a “fag packet” sketch or pencil and paper! Okay - stick in the sand, charcoal - whatever.
Most students or CAD jockeys complete the SolidWorks tutorial first day but please take a look at YouTube -Solid works Tutorial 1-How to create plate and holes. Can you guys explain how it could be simpler? Create Part - sketch on plane - extrude - done! Well yes - if plain holes; just make one sketch with rectangle and holes as I have done in the FreeCAD example - simples! Should you require threaded holes SolidWorks has a hole wizard for this and other types.
If there is a way to send me a fag packet sketch I will model and create a fully dimensioned engineering drawing which will also animate in 3D on your phone - eDrawings. (old hat since 1999) It will impress the boss - they think you have 3D CAD on your phone! Please keep persevering --- ps I’m retired, pps here is a drawing for anyone with Sony90V for slip on adapter with O ring groove, Schneider enlarger lens - regards to all.
AndyM

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

Dead simple, once you know which of the 60 or so buttons you want!

By the way for our American friends, a fag packet is a cigarette packet - ie for simple sketches only!
Chris R

Smokedaddy

Post by Smokedaddy »

ChrisR wrote:Dead simple, once you know which of the 60 or so buttons you want!
Just in case you don't know, all the CAD/Modeling type programs I use allow user defined hot and/or shortcut keys (Autocad, Rhino, Blender, Fusion 360 etc.). If you want to draw a line, you simply hit the letter 'L', Want a circle, hit 'C' and so on. It's been that way since day one. Plus you can assign commands/scripts/LISP routines to function keys. It's just like anything else, there's a learning curve, some learning curves are more difficult than others. Just like Photoshop, GIMP, Darktable, DxO, Capture One, ACDSee or RawTherapee. In CAD You usually keep a list of the commands you use the most, then edit the PGP file to make shortcut keys, so you only have one or two keys to push.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic