Bowker's marbled sapphire

Images of undisturbed subjects in their natural environment. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

SteveB

Bowker's marbled sapphire

Post by SteveB »

Here are some pictures of Stugeta bowkeri tearei or Bowker's marbled sapphire taken on the Magaliesberg near Pretoria. All three pictures are freehand stacks taken in burst mode moving slowly backwards and then stacked in zerene stacker.

The fake antennae on the hind wings are very soft and flutter in the slightest wind, moving more than the real ones on the head. Interesting too is that there is a fold on the hind wing at the eye spot which gives a sort of three dimensional effect and also makes the eye spot visible from above even when the wings are folded closed.

Thanks for looking-enjoy

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

Beautifui. Some related butterflies rub their hind wings together so that the fake antennae (which are crossed) move slowly up and down, just like real ones.

Troels

Post by Troels »

really nice and interesting.
Troels Holm, biologist (retired), environmentalist, amateur photographer.
Visit my Flickr albums

SteveB

Post by SteveB »

Thanks Troels. Thanks Lou. Your thread of the spider that looks like a frog that sort of drifted into a discussion about how prey animals could have a better chance of survival by deceiving predators about which way they will escape really caught my imagination and now I look out for this phenomena when I go walking. Like many other things in nature, once you are aware of a thing you see it all around you.

Lots of the blue butterflies around here have eye spots and fake antennae including some of the most common species. In addition to rubbing the hind wings in opposite directions as you described I have noticed that some turn around around head to tail in a smooth movement as soon as they land on something so they are facing back in the direction from which they came.

This butterfly is not one that I see very often so I can't say if it uses any of these behavioral traits. I was actually quite excited just to be able to get the pictures.

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

They are very nice pictures indeed, and as you said, the close observation required for our photography often leads to deeper understanding of nature.

I had not noticed the turning around after landing! Now I am sure that I will see it everywhere. Thanks for that observation.

MarkSturtevant

Post by MarkSturtevant »

SteveB wrote: In addition to rubbing the hind wings in opposite directions as you described I have noticed that some turn around around head to tail in a smooth movement as soon as they land on something so they are facing back in the direction from which they came.
I see the same thing with the related species of butterflies around here! Had not considered before that they could be doing that to further conceal where their head is.
Mark Sturtevant
Dept. of Still Waters

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic