Minolta DiMAGE Scan Multi PRO Scanner lens Surprise

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

RobertOToole

Minolta DiMAGE Scan Multi PRO Scanner lens Surprise

Post by RobertOToole »

This is a quick look at the Minolta AF-5000 scanner lens that I just pulled. The lens is rated for up to 120/220 format coverage at a maximum of 4800 dpi.

This was a big surprise!

See the spring just poking out just below the retaining clip?

Minolta Scan Dual II lens on the left, the Elite 5400 lens in the middle and the Multi PRO lens on the right.

What are the pins sticking out of the lens? Good question. The lever controls the position of a lens group. When I manually slide the lens stage the lever moves at each end of the range.

You can see the lens group movement in this image. The group moves about 8mm. With the lens mounted temporarily the lens group position seems to make quite a bit of difference in magnification/focus.

The lens lever slot is not sealed. In my office the open slot did not show any flare of loss of contrast.

The lens front and rear retaining rings show some wear so the lens has been opened although the scanner itself appeared to never have been opened or serviced.

This lens will be very easy to install, I just happened to have an extra Thorlabs SM1 threaded collar and extension tube ID that will slide right over the lens so I should be able to shoot some test images with the lens is a day or two.

Any ideas, or info on this scanner lens would be appreciated.

For more scanner specs see this Minolta PDF:

http://www.konicaminoltasupport.com/fil ... s2887e.pdf

Comments and questions welcome.

Robert

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

That's very interesting. From the specs it looks like the device is optimized for 35mm film size (unlike the Nikon 8000 and 9000 scanners which have constant dpi for all film sizes), so perhaps the moving elements change the magnification of the lens?

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

Lou Jost wrote:That's very interesting. From the specs it looks like the device is optimized for 35mm film size (unlike the Nikon 8000 and 9000 scanners which have constant dpi for all film sizes), so perhaps the moving elements change the magnification of the lens?
I believe you might be right.

The scanner spec sheet from Minolta says 4800 x 4800 dpi with 35mm format and 3200 x 4800 dpi with 6x9 and a single pass or 4800 x 4800 dpi maximum with two scans stitched together in software, I would assume at the higher magnification setting of the lens maybe.

I will try to get it on a stand in a day or two but I have lots and lots of catch up work to due since I was out in the field for 17 days!

Robert

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

I was out in the field for 17 days!
Lucky man!

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

Quick update on the Minolta PRO lens project.

Last week I had time to try the lens at 1.1x and 2.1x and the results were very poor. in all the 4 configurations I tried, I found soft corners and CAs.

The poor performance and obvious signs that someone made a poor attempt to repair or clean the lens for some reason. This is not possible with a scanner lens BTW.

I re-installed the lens and took advantage of the sellers 30 day return.

Its a good idea to always buy lenses from sellers that accept returns.

Robert

Vector1968

Post by Vector1968 »

It's strange, I think the seal in picture one was intact. Yesterday, I just got a Minolta 5400, but there is clear sign that the lens had been reassembled (maybe in the factory). Anyway, the result seems good, and I decide to keep it.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic