Image posting problem (resolved)

This area is for the discussion of what's new, what's on your mind, and general photographic topics. A place to meet, make comments on this site, and get the latest community news.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Doug, thanks for the email and testing.

This problem is resolved now. It had nothing to do with actual file formats, only with how the browser was labeling them. Apparently installation of Nikon's Capture NX software causes the browser to label uploaded images as MIME-type "JPEG File" rather than the usual "image/jpg", "image/jpeg", or "image/pjpeg". This causes the same sort of confusion as if I used to describe a relative as "my niece", and then suddenly switched to saying "my wife's brother's daughter" -- the kid is the same, but the description is different. If the listener requires "niece", then "wife's brother's daughter" won't work. The fix was to just tweak the forum software to treat "JPEG File" as equivalent to "image/jpg".

DaveW, as I read the stuff you've quoted, Capture NX has nothing to do with changing the format of old files. What it does permit you to do is to import an old file, edit it non-destructively, and save that nondestructive edit in the NEF format to a new file. The new format will have its own extension, different from .jpg. Despite what the article says ("totally different from the Photoshop paradigm") this is little if any different from what we do routinely with Photoshop's PSD files. Every one of my posted .jpg's is backed by a much larger .psd file that contains color adjustment layers, text overlays, and so on, that I want to keep separate from the actual pixel data. Of course you could also save the edited image in JPEG format, overwriting the old .jpg file, but in that case the old format would be used.

In any event, the forum's upload now works correctly even after installation of Capture NX. Hopefully no one else will have difficulties, and if they do, we now have the experience to track down the problem and fix it more quickly.

--Rik

DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Pleased it is sorted RIK, as I said Nikon's software often causes unexpected results!

DaveW

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic