Dandelion-like seed head

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Beatsy

Dandelion-like seed head

Post by Beatsy »

Playing with the smaller Linoscan 1800 lens, 92mm, f/7.1 on a 150mm tube lens. APS-C crop mode and magnification was about 1.4x on sensor. Straight PMax stack with no retouching.

Cropped from the original of the image above.

Beatsy

Post by Beatsy »

A little closer with a 10x Mitty on a 150mm tube lens (7.5x) and a stereo...

lothman

Post by lothman »

very good result! I did such a shot a year ago and hab problems with lot of artefacts after stacking from the fine hairs out of focus.

Do you think the scanner lenses are better in this regards (leading to lesser artefacts). Or is it only your superior lightening ;-)

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

Nice pics, interesting plant. Wonder what it is... :?
Chris R

leonardturner

Post by leonardturner »

Impressive! I particularly am taken with the first image--

Leonard

Beatsy

Post by Beatsy »

Found it, it's just plain old Cats Ear. Has a seed head like a dandelion but much smaller.

Beatsy

Post by Beatsy »

lothman wrote:very good result! I did such a shot a year ago and hab problems with lot of artefacts after stacking from the fine hairs out of focus.

Do you think the scanner lenses are better in this regards (leading to lesser artefacts). Or is it only your superior lightening ;-)
I don't think scanner lenses are better (than objectives) per-se. Some are, some aren't, it's a bit of a lottery.

This 92mm one is pretty special though. I'm sure it's good up to 4x because at 1.8x (the highest I've had it so far) it showed no signs of oversampling at all. Pixel level sharp! Being a longer focal length with a 100 micron depth of field is probably the main thing that makes it play so well with stacking. Really does do some tidy stacks compared to (say)Mitties, especially around "hairy" details.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic