A few nivicolous myxomycetes..

Images of undisturbed subjects in their natural environment. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Pitufo

A few nivicolous myxomycetes..

Post by Pitufo »

razashaikh

Post by razashaikh »

Amazing!

OioMik

Post by OioMik »

Very nice!

leonardturner

Post by leonardturner »

I like this series a lot. What magnification were you using?

Leonard

Pitufo

Post by Pitufo »

Thank you very much - I'm glad you like them. It's an easier subject than many of the others in this sections as at least they stay still.

These were shot with an Olympus 60mm 2.8 macro/EM5 mkII (focus bracketing approx 100 shots). Most images are cropped centre portions of original images, slightly cleaned. Sporangia are around 2mm tall.

This was my first outing with this kit and it is great for the field (once you figure out how to work it!). Thanks to the various members of this group who have kindly provided information on the camera recently.

I collected around 100 samples of myxomycetes in a week (yippee!), so I will be posting some studio work when I have time.

Roel Wijtmans

Post by Roel Wijtmans »

These are really beautiful! Now I really want to go out and try to find some slime molds to take pictures of.

Pitufo

Post by Pitufo »

Hi Roel

If you are in Sweden and can get to a mountain it is the perfect time of year for nivicolous (or snowline) species. Look very carefully at vegetation around the edge of melting snow at around 1200-1600 m. Check several sites as they are quite unpredicatable but abundant when found. I would be happy to ID any collections you make. If you want to send them to me, I can send you a link with information on how to package them.

"Normal" myxos are also available all year round.

Cheers,

John

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

These are great!

The "auto stacking" with the Olympus bodies and that lens is amazing.

Roel Wijtmans

Post by Roel Wijtmans »

Hi John! Thanks for the advice, since I am a novice when it comes to finding slime molds. I only recently "decided" I wanted to try and find them, because they are so intriguing. I do not live too close to the mountains so I can't check for them over there, but I will definitely keep my eyes open for them in the woods where I live!

Once again, great photos, that second one is just amazing!

Roel

Pitufo

Post by Pitufo »

Thank you Charles and Roel. Here's another one.. probably the same species as the second photo but a less mature version.

Like someone selling a mirror on ebay, I can be seen in the middle of every reflection.. :)

Cactusdave

Post by Cactusdave »

I have the same camera as you and recently acquired the same 60mm macro lens. I haven't tried the combination yet and I would very much appreciate it if you could post the camera and lens settings you are using to get the stunning field macro stacks.
David
Leitz Ortholux 1, Zeiss standard, Nikon Diaphot inverted, Canon photographic gear

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Some follow-up shots done in studio have been moved to A few nivicolous myxomycetes.. (in studio)

--Rik

Beatsy

Post by Beatsy »

Really nice shots and doubly amazing that they're stacked in camera. Now I'm motivated to look out for these "mixos" too. Forever distracted - and long may it continue :D

Pitufo

Post by Pitufo »

I should clarify that these are around 100 - 120 images shot in field using "focus bracketing" not stacking. I used the smallest step possible (1 or sometimes 2).

Focus peaking switched on.

Images were stacked in Zerene afterwards.

Cheers

John

Cactusdave

Post by Cactusdave »

Thanks, that's very helpful.
David
Leitz Ortholux 1, Zeiss standard, Nikon Diaphot inverted, Canon photographic gear

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic