Incremental Focusing Drive-request for assistance

Images made through a microscope. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

moose

Incremental Focusing Drive-request for assistance

Post by moose »

I am planning to do some stacked images of thousands of slides. Does anyone know of a source of an incremental focusing drive that I can purchase or hire someone to construct. I have an Olympus BHS scope with trinocular head, Photomicro Adapter L and Canon 5DMk4 camera body.
Moose (aka: john j. henderson)
Microhistology, Moose Ecology, Wildlife and Scientific Photography
Michigan Technological University
Houghton, Michigan

zzffnn

Post by zzffnn »

Welcome to the forum, moose.

WeMacro MicroMate has been recommended a few times in this forum.

http://www.wemacro.com/?product=micromate

Please search the forum to read on details.
Selling my Canon FD 200mm F/2.8 lens

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

Now I'm just beginning to test the Micro Mate, it is very easy to couple to the microscope and seems to work very well.

The main issue I've found for now is the inability of Canon cameras to be remote shot by an external device* when computer tethered, and I love to have them tethered both to have live view, control camera parameters and see test results.
There are some minor aspects that I've already solved

Will post when fully tested.

*even the camera shutter button

(edit)
NOTE: This was a very preliminary and provisional test result. Will post when I have a more consistent and repeatable results
Last edited by Pau on Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pau

JH

Post by JH »

For thousands of slides I would recommend Zerene Stacker because it is possible to stack and take the pictures (jpg format) at the same time so you directly see if the stack will be ok. The limitations for this approach is that you have to use Cognisys StackShot controller. I use a stepper motor from Cognisys and made my own connection between the microscope and the motor, now when WeMacros connection is available I would probably have used that instead of building my own. To minimize post processing a clean sensor is important. If you do not have any alignment problems - turning off the alignment in Zerene minimizes the effects of any remaining dust.

Hopes this helps, and good luck
Best regards
Jörgen Hellberg

Edit: Maybe you could use another camera, stacking thousands of pictures will probably ruin the shutter on a very nice camera.
Jörgen Hellberg, my webbsite www.hellberg.photo

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Pau wrote:The main issue I've found for now is the inability of Canon cameras to be remote shot by an external device* when computer tethered, and I love to have them tethered both to have live view, control camera parameters and see test results.
Most Canon cameras can be triggered by remote shutter cable even when tethered in Live View, IF the camera is also displaying the Live View image on the back of the camera. See Step 9 at https://zerenesystems.com/cms/stacker/d ... y_software .

I have seen reports of a few individual cameras that could not be triggered when in Live View, even when Live View was reported to be displaying on the camera. But these seem to be rare, compared to the large number that work fine once the necessary buttons are pressed to make the camera display the Live View image.

--Rik

moose

Post by moose »

Thanks All, trying to order the wemacro device, the paypal link for this site is currently down but hoping it is working soon.
Houghton, Michigan

mawyatt

Post by mawyatt »

If funds are available the WeMacro stepper motor can be driven by the Stackshot controller, all that's required is an adapter cable. As mentioned Zerene has a built in UI for the Stackshot controller that works very well. You'll need a connector for the WeMacro motor (ask William at WeMacro) and a connector from Cognisys (ask Paul). As an alternate you could mount the Stackshot motor (NEMA 17) on the WeMacro MicroMate, although I haven't tried this. Have tried and use the WeMacro focus rail with the Stackshot controller utilizing an adapter cable, this works very well.

Best,
Research is like a treasure hunt, you don't know where to look or what you'll find!
~Mike

moose

Post by moose »

Thanks again, I have ordered the micromate and I am looking at the Cognisys Stackshot. I have the funds available but just not sure I need the extra device. I will do some more study and additional comments are more than welcome.
Houghton, Michigan

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

rjlittlefield wrote:Most Canon cameras can be triggered by remote shutter cable even when tethered in Live View, IF the camera is also displaying the Live View image on the back of the camera
I have seen reports of a few individual cameras that could not be triggered when in Live View, even when Live View was reported to be displaying on the camera. But these seem to be rare, compared to the large number that work fine once the necessary buttons are pressed to make the camera display the Live View image.
Thanks for posting that info.
I must be unlucky, after tethered and with LV activated at the camera, independently of LV at the computer or not
- My 7D doesn't fire at all
- A 6D fires but doesn't save the pictures either at the card or at the computer

Pretty frustrating :(
Pau

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Pau wrote:I must be unlucky, after tethered and with LV activated at the camera, independently of LV at the computer or not
- My 7D doesn't fire at all
- A 6D fires but doesn't save the pictures either at the card or at the computer

Pretty frustrating :(
Two cameras, different models, misbehaving for the same user, suggests some common cause other than bad luck.

What software are you tethering with, and on what kind of computer?

--Rik

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

I use EOS Utility on a Win 7 Intel i7 8 core PC. It works very well with no issues when used alone.

I'm still testing, I've observed some weird behaviors and just once I got all working OK, so it can do.
More to follow when I get things clearer, could take some days.
Pau

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

Now I have the Wemacro MicroMate working side by side with LV at the computer as I wanted. Only tested with the 7D as I returned the 6D to its owner.
I don't understand what happened at my former tests, but now all is working OK under the following configuration:

1- Camera and Wemacro tethered to the same computer. Camera connected to the Wemacro controller to fire it.
2- EOS Utility + Wemacro software
3- Live view activated first from EOS Utility and then form the camera
4- I need to set "shutter waiting time" at least to 2sec.

Notes
1- If I want to control the camera from the phone via Bluetooth it doesn't fire when tethered to the computer. The phone control doesn't work if the controller USB cable is connected even if the Wemacro software is not running (the Android app works well if the camera is not tethered)
2- No other software tested
3- Not sure if the order matters or not
4- If set at 1sec it fails to take some shots
Pau

moose

Post by moose »

Thanks for the update Pau. I have ordered the MicroMate package but also ordered the Stackshot controller, cables, etc. I am looking forward to taking my imaging to the next level.
Houghton, Michigan

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic