Dictyostelium in moist culture chamber (petri dish)

Images made through a microscope. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Ken Ramos

Dictyostelium in moist culture chamber (petri dish)

Post by Ken Ramos »

Been fooling around a lot with cellular slime molds here of late. Mainly because they are so easy to cultivate, sort of a do it yer' self sort of thing.

Evidently stress had to be a factor in this fuiting, note the deformity of the sporocarp. How it came about is anyones guess, they are kept in culture chambers in the dark and in a secure place.

Cellular slime molds do not necessarily have a plasmodium but what is called a pseudoplasmodium or a grex. Aggregation of the cells, the myxamoebae is brought about by the introduction, or release of a second messenger molecule cAMP (cyclic Adenosine monophosphate) acting as a signal transducer bringing the cells together or aggregation thus forming the fruiting body. I suspect that is what this last image is all about, though I may or might just be wrong but we won't go there for now. :-k It hints as a plasmodium but lacks the fanning pseudopods seen in the Myxogastria. All images were captured utilizing an OMANO OM2300S-V3 dissecting microscope and an out of production Sony DSC-W5 which as been a work horse of a little 5 mega pixel camera. :)

WalterD

Post by WalterD »

Nice set, especially photo 1. How will it develop?

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

WalterD wrote:Nice set, especially photo 1. How will it develop?
The final stage of spore dispersal is probably where both the Dictyostelia and Myxogastria have anything in common. The sporocarps/fruiting bodies will burst releasing spores into the wind to begin the cycle all over once more. Thanks Walter :)

Walter Piorkowski

Post by Walter Piorkowski »

Hi Ken. It is good to see that you are still enjoying myxomycetes. I know you have worked with them for well over a decade now. I look forward to more of them myself. Walt

razashaikh

Post by razashaikh »

Nice set

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Thanks razashaikh and Walter. Slime molds are something that I just can't keep away from Walt. Ever since my first find, they have been addictive. :D

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic