Higher Mag Eyepieces Cause Temporary Double Image

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

atariwarrior

Higher Mag Eyepieces Cause Temporary Double Image

Post by atariwarrior »

I recently repaired a microscope head that had a prism come loose. After the prism was re-aligned and glued, I tested it with a pair of 10X/22 eyepieces. The image looked very good and clear. When I tried using a pair of 15X/17 eyepieces, there was a double image for about 1-2 seconds before my eyes adjusted and the double image went away.

Is this discrepancy between the eyepieces normal? Is it my eyes or is the newly glued prism out of alignment?

The interpupillary distance of the microscope head is adjustable.

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

There is probably misalignment in both cases, but it becomes more of an issue at higher mag. How did you ensure the prism was aligned properly when you replaced it?

atariwarrior

Post by atariwarrior »

The microscope head is a Wild Heerbrugg head with inclined tubes.

I rotated the platforms carrying the prisms to the 0 degree position (the eyepiece tubes point straight ahead) and aligned the front edges of these platforms with a thick metal ruler straight edge. The left prism is still bonded in the original factory position on the platform so I used this prism as a reference. I placed the same straight edge up against the front edge of this prism and then brought the front edge of the right prism up against the straight edge. This set the right prism in line with the left prism.

For the left-right orientation, I measured the distance between the left edge of the left platform and the left edge of the left prism. I then used this distance for the distance between right edge of the right platform and the right edge of the right prism. After positioning the prism. I then carefully marked the edges around the right prism. After marking the edges, I placed small drops of glue and let them cure for 2 hours. I then re-assembled the microscope head and checked the alignment by examining two perpendicular lines on a piece of paper. If the images were doubled, I repositioned the prism accordingly (after 2 hours, the glue is still pliable and can be peeled off). This was a long process that I repeated until there was no noticeable misalignment between the perpendicular lines.

This is the only process that I could come up. The tubes are mounted individual "cages" above the prism. I suppose that I can also adjust the image by shimming the cages but at the time I saw no reason to do so.Image

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

I usually adjust prisms and tube alignments "live" with a cross-hatch reticle. The smallest misalignment can cause big issues.

atariwarrior

Post by atariwarrior »

Unfortunately, I don't have one of those. Is it just an eyepiece with a reticle?

Are they specific to a particular brand and model of microscope? Do you know where I can get one?

This is a one-off repair that I don't want to invest a lot of money into.

In my situation, the prism isn't held by a screw or mechanical fastener. It cannot be adjusted "live" since the glue sets within a few minutes and the tubes have to be reinstalled and removed each time I want to evaluate the alignment of the prisms and reset the position.

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

atariwarrior wrote:Unfortunately, I don't have one of those. Is it just an eyepiece with a reticle?

Are they specific to a particular brand and model of microscope? Do you know where I can get one?

This is a one-off repair that I don't want to invest a lot of money into.

In my situation, the prism isn't held by a screw or mechanical fastener. It cannot be adjusted "live" since the glue sets within a few minutes and the tubes have to be reinstalled and removed each time I want to evaluate the alignment of the prisms and reset the position.
Yes, just a reticle installed into a normal eyepiece. Are your eyepieces 23mm?

atariwarrior

Post by atariwarrior »

The eyepieces are 30mm.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic