Leitz Wetzlar - PZO

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Litonotus

Post by Litonotus »

I have no experience with "hybrid" DF darkfield condensers for PZO.

For Biolar and high magnifications you should use KCT condenser, it looks like this:

If the one you have is well fixed and centered it should work. Light power may also be an issue - 100x darkfield usually needs more than 20W.
Last edited by Litonotus on Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
my FB page

I'm looking for the the extemely rare V-IM magnification changer for the E800 scope. If you have seen a listing or have one for sale please let me know.

Smokedaddy

Post by Smokedaddy »

Litonotus wrote:I have no experience with "hybrid" DF darkfield condensers for PZO.
Thanks very much for following up and posting here. What is KCT stand for? Is it a PZO (brand) condenser?

-JW:

Smokedaddy

Post by Smokedaddy »

Litonotus wrote:Powerful light may also be an issue - 100x darkfield usually needs more than 20W.
... any suggestions how to acquire/make etc., a more powerful illumination?

-JW:

JohnyM

Post by JohnyM »

KCT stands for "kondensor ciemnego tla" which translates to "darkfield condenser". It's basic, common model. Tho, before PZO was shutted down, they manufactured a better, less common version, K5C which is way brighter, and was commonly bundled with Dia fluorescence UFL.
As for more powerful illumination, i think i've answered that in your other topic. You can try to aquire 100W halogen illuminator, but it have some issues with large sensor coverage @10x lens. Ultimate brightness light source is also mentioned 50W HBO UFL illuminator which is quite eazy to find, but bulbs are expensive and potentially dangerous for unskilled operator. UFL can be quite eazy to mod to halogen / led / flashlamp tho.
Last edited by JohnyM on Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Smokedaddy

Post by Smokedaddy »

Since I don't have enough illumination for DF and the Leitz condenser I thought I would make a filter with a black central stop to see how that worked with a PZO condenser. I'm not sure why I didn't nail the focus with this stack but it's sort of acceptable. I probably got in a hurry and didn't wait long enough between shots. I'm happy with the overall concept though.

-JW:

Smokedaddy

Post by Smokedaddy »

Me again,

I also purchased a 37mm DF cardioid(?) condenser 1.2/1.4 on eBay a while back but I needed to make a step ring for it. I also didn't realize it had to be oiled. <duh> The adapter (about 2mm thick) just slips over the condenser. The PZO condenser holder is 39.5mm. I figured I would 3D print it instead of machining it since it would be easier considering how thin it is. It did need a light sanding. Worked perfectly and fits nice and snug. I've photographed this diatom many times in the past, just not in DF. I thought the image turned out decent. Second pic is of the condenser and ring I printed.

Not sure what that lever is supposed to do as nothing seems to change.

-JW:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic