persistence pays off (sometimes)

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Yawns

persistence pays off (sometimes)

Post by Yawns »

inspired by the work of
André De Kesel I much admire
https://www.flickr.com/photos/andredekesel/
I decided to have a try at staging insects (in any other than a needle) without having a clue about it and it's very hard work even if it doesn't looks like ..
spent more than an hour trying to make a fly stay on a stick in a position with a minimum of credibly .. after many falls and 2 legs less i got this... the shooting was easy peasy .. not bad for a beginner I think, but the two missing legs ruin it ..

ImageCasual first try by antonio caseiro, on Flickr

the second try was not even worth of a decent edition
Imagesecond time by antonio caseiro, on Flickr

the third was even worse
Image97 frames 2018-04-06 # C by antonio caseiro, on Flickr

in the fourth came to my mind to shoot up-side-down (and flip the photo later) and let the gravity do the leg stretching work and it went easier and I am more hopefully ...

Imagepersistence pays off by antonio caseiro, on Flickr

any hints & tips welcome and appreciated
YAWNS _ (Y)et (A)nother (W)onderful (N)ewbie (S)hooting

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

This is looking promising!. Do you use a "relaxing" technique for the insects?
Chris R

Beatsy

Post by Beatsy »

I struggle with this from time to time. I found it best to poke a pin through the stick or moss, then untangle the legs a bit and pin the insect from underneath (with glue on the point) before straightening the legs into their final positions. With the body held firmly by the pin, the legs more readily stay wedged where they're positioned on the base material.

mygale

Post by mygale »

You can ask Andre directly for tips, he has a manual where he explains every step.

Yawns

Post by Yawns »

@ Chris ... This is looking promising!. Do you use a "relaxing" technique for the insects?

Hi .. so far no .. looks like stiff legs work like springs and clip to the stic

@ Beatsy"... I found it best to poke a pin through the stick or moss, then untangle the legs a bit and pin the insect from underneath (with glue on the point) before straightening the legs into their final positions. With the body held firmly by the pin, the legs more readily stay wedged where they're positioned on the base material

I tried that ... but when removing the pin, the pin drags the body and leave it laying in the stick..

@ migale You can ask Andre directly for tips, he has a manual where he explains every step

Thnak you .. I will loo for that post before molesting someone with questions :)

Yawns

Post by Yawns »

So far I am doing this

1. I try to insert a stick in the "tunnel" of retracted legs
2. Hang the stick with the bouncing insect carefully in a clip ...
3. adjust the paws in the stick, hoping the claws may grip enough ...(textured stcs help a lot)
no glue or pins...
LOTS OF FRUSTRATION AND SWEARING .. for about an hour or more :) :), with a few falls in between.(and back to stage 1)
4. Move the clip to shooting stage (another tricky move) and SHOOT UPSIDE DOWN ... hopping the gravity may elongate the legs and detach the body
...and place the light coming from underneath (otherwise the light looks funny)
5. Flip the final stacked picture and hope it look "natural"

Imagehow to by antonio caseiro, on Flickr

Image104 frames 2018-04-07 # C - UP by antonio caseiro, on Flickr

Image104 frames 2018-04-07 # C by antonio caseiro, on Flickr

Yawns

Post by Yawns »

yesterday I found a dead bug .. the legs were soft and floppy because it was exposed to the rain ..
I don't like the tummy touching the ground .. maybe in a couple of days when it's dry and stiff it will be easier to raise the body and make it look more credible

sorry for poor picture quality (over-sharpness) .. in this phase i'm more concerned with the "how to..." do this than with the final photos.

Image82 frames 2018-04-07 # C by antonio caseiro, on Flickr

Beatsy

Post by Beatsy »

Yawns wrote: I tried that ... but when removing the pin, the pin drags the body and leave it laying in the stick..
I leave the pin in and shoot from an angle where it doesn't show, or photoshop it out later (I use the black ent pins which don't cause too many problems with flares etc).

Having said that, your "stick insertion" method looks like it's got legs (haha), I'll give that a go myself. Thanks.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic