Laowa 25mm F/2.8 2.5x-5x ultra macro lens

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Macro_Cosmos

Post by Macro_Cosmos »

Here's a couple new stacks:

A jumping spider, 20um, pmax, 117 stack.
Jumping Spider by Macro Cosmos (DH)

Beetle Panorama by Macro Cosmos (DH)
Full resolution here: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4619/405 ... d56b_o.jpg

It's not really full resolution actually, flickr restricts the upload size to 10,000 pixels in length, so I had to downsample significantly (hence the odd 9999 length). The uploaded version is about 50mp, the original is 300mp.

Anyone know the full technical name of the beetle? I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

MarkSturtevant

Post by MarkSturtevant »

Macro_Cosmos wrote: Anyone know the full technical name of the beetle? I'd appreciate it. Thanks!
It is a jewel beetle (Buprestidae). I attempted an ID for Australian species and did not find one that is a dead ringer, perhaps because different lighting can make them look different. Here is one web site:
https://bie.ala.org.au/species/urn:lsid ... fa91b36cd6
Click on the Gallery tab. Yours somewhat resembles Cyphogastra quadrivittata & Chalcophora frenchii. But I can't be sure if either is right.
Mark Sturtevant
Dept. of Still Waters

mjkzz

Post by mjkzz »

This is straight out of stacking software, no editing at all, the lens looks well worth the money. The only thing is that image size changes a bit too much, but I can live with it. To demonstrate image size change, I used my own stacking software as it produces visible border lines (Zerene does much better job not showing that)

chris_ma

Post by chris_ma »

stumbled across some long term review video of the lens:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMEI1jNU_m4

quite a lot of other videos about macro on his channel too.
chris

bbobby

Re: Laowa 25mm F/2.8 2.5x-5x ultra macro lens

Post by bbobby »

A bit old topic, but...
I do not see anywhere mentioned "floating" element/s... from 2.5x to 5x lens extend... so, if elements inside do not move at all and lens keeps its focal length then this helicoid extension is for convenience only, instead of mounting it on bellows and extend it this way to get the desirable magnification... like regular microscope objective put on different tube lengths... which in turns means lens probably is optimized for whatever magnification and then 2.5x-5x is the acceptable range...
1 copy is coming my way... in Nikon F mount... anybody tried it with SpeedBooster on m4/3?

clausgiloi

Post by clausgiloi »

Looking into the open back of the lens while turning the helicoid, I can see more than one internal element moving at disparate rates.

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

bbobby wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2024 11:14 am
A bit old topic, but...
I do not see anywhere mentioned "floating" element/s... from 2.5x to 5x lens extend... so, if elements inside do not move at all and lens keeps its focal length then this helicoid extension is for convenience only, instead of mounting it on bellows and extend it this way to get the desirable magnification... like regular microscope objective put on different tube lengths... which in turns means lens probably is optimized for whatever magnification and then 2.5x-5x is the acceptable range...
1 copy is coming my way... in Nikon F mount... anybody tried it with SpeedBooster on m4/3?
I mainly use mine on FF, where it is sharp all the way to the corners, but the lens + Speedbooster on MFT sounds like a good idea. On MFT for those magnifications, I prefer to use a 45-175mm lens with a microscope objective mounted on it. This does automatic focus bracketing, very rapidly, with no rail.

Cunha

Post by Cunha »

bbobby wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2024 11:14 am
A bit old topic, but...
I would also like to have a conclusive answer to this. If so, will this lens perform better than another one with floating elements, for example in bellows or with macro tubes?

clausgiloi

Post by clausgiloi »

As I wrote above, there is definitely more than one moving element.

Cunha

Post by Cunha »

clausgiloi wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2024 8:48 am
That means "floating elements"? Thanks.

clausgiloi

Post by clausgiloi »

Cunha wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2024 8:54 am
clausgiloi wrote:
Yes, as I understand it. There is an internal optical element that moves independently - at a different rate than the objective group.

Cunha

Post by Cunha »

clausgiloi wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2024 9:09 am
Cunha wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2024 8:54 am
clausgiloi wrote:
Yes, as I understand it. There is an internal optical element that moves independently - at a different rate than the objective group.
Ok. Thanks a lot .-)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic