Section of skin injected and corroded

Images made through a microscope. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Cactusdave

Section of skin injected and corroded

Post by Cactusdave »

A Victorian version of 'plastination' https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plastination

Leitz X6.3 plan fluorite objective. Stack of 11 images with Zerene PMax. Diffused incident illumination. For more details on the slide, the technique and the subject you'll need to read this thread. http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... 462#228462

Cross eyed stereo version from Zerene.

Leitz Ortholux 1, Zeiss standard, Nikon Diaphot inverted, Canon photographic gear

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

Great work again :shock:
Pau

GaryB

Post by GaryB »

Impressive specimen and great stereo :D

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

The stereo is superb -- and from only 11 frames! I am taking notes!

--Rik

Cactusdave

Post by Cactusdave »

Thanks Pau, Gary and Rik.

Rik - This subject seems to be particularly amenable to good stereo rendering. I'm going to shamelessly repost a stereo image from the end of my previous thread, which shows the same subject imaged with a X4 objective. A stack of 14 images with PMax, field width about 2mm. Two justifications. Firstly I have a suspicion that images at the end of long threads can get missed, second there were a couple of glitches in the original post that annoyed me when I tried to get good stereo fusion, which is something I usually can achieve easily. I have remedied these. I think the stereo is equally impressive.

Leitz Ortholux 1, Zeiss standard, Nikon Diaphot inverted, Canon photographic gear

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Thanks for the repost. I'm pretty sure I did see that one, but it's a pleasure to see again.
This subject seems to be particularly amenable to good stereo rendering.
I agree. My model is that good subjects for stereo have rich detail everywhere in the scene, and do not have overlaps that cause large areas to be seen by one eye and not the other. This subject clearly meets the requirement for rich detail, and while it has lots of overlaps that must be causing inconsistencies, the inconsistencies are individually so small that I don't notice them. Instead I just see "Oh, what a wonderful thicket!"

I do notice that if I'm using a viewer, I have to be very careful to precisely level the viewer. Otherwise the zillions of details don't line up and there's not enough large scale structure to make my eyes automatically correct for the vertical disparity. For me, this blood vessel subject is several times more sensitive to viewer misalignment than is the lacewing at https://zerenesystems.com/cms/stacker/d ... eticstereo .

--Rik

Cactusdave

Post by Cactusdave »

Rik- I'm fortunate in that I'm usually very good at cross eyed stereo fusion without aids. I do find these two stereo pairs particularly easy and satisfying to fuse.

As an aside I have a number of other injected and corroded slides, both the 'Hett style' and the 'Topping style' . They do make very interesting and informative stereo subjects. I should post some more, but I do think it's a shame to post images like these without some context and backstory. They represent something of a technical pinnacle in commercial slide making and for a variety of reasons, not the least ethical, we shan't see their like again.
David

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic