www.photomacrography.net :: View topic - Section of skin injected and corroded
www.photomacrography.net Forum Index
An online community dedicated to the practices of photomacrography, close-up and macro photography, and photomicrography.
Photomacrography Front Page Amateurmicrography Front Page
Old Forums/Galleries

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Section of skin injected and corroded

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Photography Through the Microscope
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cactusdave

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:22 am    Post subject: Section of skin injected and corroded Reply with quote

A Victorian version of 'plastination' https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plastination

Leitz X6.3 plan fluorite objective. Stack of 11 images with Zerene PMax. Diffused incident illumination. For more details on the slide, the technique and the subject you'll need to read this thread. http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=228462#228462

Cross eyed stereo version from Zerene.

Pau
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great work again Shocked
GaryB

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Impressive specimen and great stereo Very Happy
rjlittlefield
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The stereo is superb -- and from only 11 frames! I am taking notes!

--Rik
Cactusdave

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Pau, Gary and Rik.

Rik - This subject seems to be particularly amenable to good stereo rendering. I'm going to shamelessly repost a stereo image from the end of my previous thread, which shows the same subject imaged with a X4 objective. A stack of 14 images with PMax, field width about 2mm. Two justifications. Firstly I have a suspicion that images at the end of long threads can get missed, second there were a couple of glitches in the original post that annoyed me when I tried to get good stereo fusion, which is something I usually can achieve easily. I have remedied these. I think the stereo is equally impressive.

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the repost. I'm pretty sure I did see that one, but it's a pleasure to see again.

Quote:
This subject seems to be particularly amenable to good stereo rendering.

I agree. My model is that good subjects for stereo have rich detail everywhere in the scene, and do not have overlaps that cause large areas to be seen by one eye and not the other. This subject clearly meets the requirement for rich detail, and while it has lots of overlaps that must be causing inconsistencies, the inconsistencies are individually so small that I don't notice them. Instead I just see "Oh, what a wonderful thicket!"

I do notice that if I'm using a viewer, I have to be very careful to precisely level the viewer. Otherwise the zillions of details don't line up and there's not enough large scale structure to make my eyes automatically correct for the vertical disparity. For me, this blood vessel subject is several times more sensitive to viewer misalignment than is the lacewing at https://zerenesystems.com/cms/stacker/docs/syntheticstereo .

--Rik
Cactusdave

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rik- I'm fortunate in that I'm usually very good at cross eyed stereo fusion without aids. I do find these two stereo pairs particularly easy and satisfying to fuse.

As an aside I have a number of other injected and corroded slides, both the 'Hett style' and the 'Topping style' . They do make very interesting and informative stereo subjects. I should post some more, but I do think it's a shame to post images like these without some context and backstory. They represent something of a technical pinnacle in commercial slide making and for a variety of reasons, not the least ethical, we shan't see their like again.
David
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Photography Through the Microscope All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: