www.photomacrography.net :: View topic - Birefringent Crystal Growing Tips?
www.photomacrography.net Forum Index
An online community dedicated to the practices of photomacrography, close-up and macro photography, and photomicrography.
Photomacrography Front Page Amateurmicrography Front Page
Old Forums/Galleries

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Birefringent Crystal Growing Tips?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Beginners Micro
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Claytown

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:46 pm    Post subject: Birefringent Crystal Growing Tips? Reply with quote

I'm mainly interested in photographing the beautiful effects and colors of birefringent crystals under a polarizing microscope. However, chemistry is not my strength. Does anyone have an tips on getting beautiful crystals to form? So far I've been working with epsom salt, washing soda, boric acid, wart remover, tartaric acid, and citric acid. I assume these all have different properties and grow crystals optimally under different circumstances. Many times I can get fantastic crystals, yet spectacular color only in small select areas. Is there a trick to getting a slide full of colors?
ChrisR
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried "retarders"?
Bits of sellotape, CD box or its wrapper will do, or quarter /half wave posh ones if you want to measure the phase shift.
They push you into pretty bits of the Michel-Lévy Chart.
A nice explanation is here.

Claytown

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes yes! My favorite so far is a plastic spoon for it's variety of colors and the gradients you can get
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Beginners Micro All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: