The Heine does Darkpol and Phacopol

Images made through a microscope. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Cactusdave

The Heine does Darkpol and Phacopol

Post by Cactusdave »

One of the nice things about the Leitz Heine condenser is how easy it is to move from dark ground though oblique and phase contrast (with suitable phase objectives). If you add simple polarisation it adds an additional lighting dimension. I added simple pol to my Ortholux, with a rotatable polariser over the light outlet and an analyser in the head slider above the nosepiece. The analyser was cut to fit an empty slot in the slider from thin polarising film sold on eBay. All quite simple and basic.

The scales from the leaf of the garden shrub Elaeagnus are an interesting subject for polarised light and combining polarisation with a retarder (double layer of Sellotape mounted on a microscope slide) placed on top of the polariser, and dark ground from the Heine, produces a striking image. The objective used was a Leitz X10 Plan fluorite, 0.30, 170mm. The camera used was a Sony Nex 5N, with afocal coupling to a Leitz VarioOrthomat zoom photoeyepiece which was used for framing. Stack of 12 images with Zerene DMap. The slide is a Victorian mount for 'polariscope' by the firm of Smith, Beck and Beck.

Similar conditions, but stack of 18 images.

Leitz Ortholux 1, Zeiss standard, Nikon Diaphot inverted, Canon photographic gear

Cactusdave

Post by Cactusdave »

Same technique but this time the subject is the stellate hairs (trichomes) in situ on the leaf cuticle of the shrub Deutzia scabra. Another Victorian slide by the same firm. Both these slides were once probably part of a larger set of slides showing off polarisation with the microscope. A fairly new toy for Victorian microscopists. The objective this time is a Leitz Pv X25, 0.50, -h, 170mm objective. Pv indicates a phase objective designed for the Heine condenser, and -h indicates high contrast, or strong phase effect. Stack of 14 images with Zerene DMap.

I think the spherical objects are probably pollen grains.

If phase contrast, rather than dark ground is combined with polarisation, more of the shape and structure of the trichomes and the background can be discerned. The lightness of the background can be adjusted by altering the strength of the phase effect by slightly raising or lowering the condenser inner cylinder.

Unstacked images.

I thought they looked a bit like dancing octopuses, but these octopuses mostly only have 7 legs! :lol:
Leitz Ortholux 1, Zeiss standard, Nikon Diaphot inverted, Canon photographic gear

Ichthyophthirius

Post by Ichthyophthirius »

Those Elaeagnus leaf hairs are magnificent!

billben74

Post by billben74 »

Very striking images.

micro_pix

Post by micro_pix »

I love the leaf scales - and the Sellotape retarder, I'll give it a try.

Cactusdave

Post by Cactusdave »

Thanks Icthy, billben and micro-pix. The Elaeagnus scales are very beautiful. They are also amazing with DIC. Not sure how they are removed from the leaf in such good condition. I've seen a few other slides of the same subject where the scales look quite knocked about and damaged.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic