10% Ammonia helps recover appearance of dried insects.

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

MarkSturtevant

10% Ammonia helps recover appearance of dried insects.

Post by MarkSturtevant »

I did not know about this (and maybe people here do, but i remember the question coming up here not too long ago), but carefully applied 10% ammonia can recover a lot of the normal look of compound eyes and other features in dried insects. See the work of André De Kesel

https://www.flickr.com/photos/andredeke ... 582201413/. He gives detailed notes in the 'before' and 'after' pictures.
Mark Sturtevant
Dept. of Still Waters

BugEZ

Post by BugEZ »

This is very interesting.

I mixed an ammonia solution by diluting household ammonia per Andre's recommendations (50-50 household ammonia- deionized water mix) and applied it to the head area of a small dolichopodidae (long legged fly) from my bone yard. I used a small watercolor paintbrush. I was impressed with how quickly more lifelike eye appearance was restored. The color of the ommatidia immediately went from brown to green and under magnification the alternating stripes of ommatidia colors reappeared. Since the mixture was only applied to the head of this small fly, the wings were unaffected. Perhaps with more patience (subsequent applications of some water to allow the eye to rehydrate more thoroughly) an even better result might be expected.

This is a very useful technique.

Mark, Thanks for sharing!

Keith

before...

after...
Aloha

MarkSturtevant

Post by MarkSturtevant »

Wow, that looks pretty good! Did not expect to see recovery of colors. That may not always be the case.
Mark Sturtevant
Dept. of Still Waters

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic