Laowa 25mm F/2.8 2.5x-5x ultra macro lens

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

The number 1 question curious photogs are asking is "how does it compare against the MPE". The tendency or the atmosphere behind that question is, If I buy the MPE tomorrow, I will be a fool cause the Laowa is giving sort of the range, probable lesser price and in a smaller package.

For Nikon, no doubt their world has opened to similar MPE lens.
I don't see Nikon users flocking to buy it. It's still a manual diaphragm. Trying to see anything through an effective f/20-30 is hard.
There are already good manual options, like reversed zooms, or a Canon MP35 on a helicoid or two which is more use at the more useful (in the field, or small sensor) low mag end as well. Granted the Laowa is neat, and would make more sense if one didn't already have any way to do it.
I've not looked at distortion - something to check.

The Optional Accessories for the Laowa are interesting for sure, though I haven't seen much about them.
Chris R

anvancy

Post by anvancy »

Chris you are following my thread of Agumbe rainforest photos so Ill relate my experience to that and what the general mindset is going as of now.

Why I assumed Nikon people will flock to this is I dont think there is any other all rounder option to be used "fast" in the field. Yes for any kind of studio work the options are limitless. But when you are dragging yourself in 85% humidity and hate to keep changing gear, this lens looks like a good buy.

Nikon 105+Raynox 250+This Laowa looks atleast on paper as a total all round solution in the field.

Now
The justification being given as a strong contender to the MPE is its price. When the issue that you have correctly pointed out of viewfinder darkness, is "we will manage".

There will be a difference only in writing and actually managing light and its additional weight. Maybe here the yongnuo YN 24 model lights will shine.
www.anvancy.com

Raynox 150|Raynox 250|Raynox MSN 202|Canon MPE 65mm|Canon 100mm.|Wemacro Rail

johan

Post by johan »

I don't think that MPE65 vs LW25 is the real argument - if you're a Canon user most will probably still get MPE65 because of its range, auto aperture, full frame distortionless coverage, integration into Canon and the fact it's pretty darned handy all round. Heck most of us own one and it's pretty handy. It has better range and it is automatic, 2 USPs LW25 doesn't have.

For photographers using others marques though, like Nikon, Pentax etc that don't have an MPE65 in their range I think the real debate is whether LW25 is preferable to other existing solutions for them like reversed lenses, Raynox use, darkroom lenses, and my hunch is that yes, it will appeal to many - a value for money all-in-one package. For them it's an improvement over carrying all sorts of bits around so sure, they'll buy it. And that's why it's purposefully manual, to be brand-agnostic, to be able to tap into that exact market.

So, imo, great to see investment in an extreme macro optic by a manufacturer, opening extreme macro to the masses.

As for Canon users and MPE65 vs LW25 - sure some will buy each. MPE65 is a great 1:1-5:1 all-round automatic lens. LW25 doesn't quite match that but also costs less - bottom line you get what you pay for, and I think as a Canon user you get more convenience with MPE65, which does matter. Futzing around for field shots using a LW25 with a manual aperture with a limited magnification range simply isn't as field-enabling as MPE65.

So, no, not going to kill MPE65, but it's definitely a handy addition for non Canon photographers.
Last edited by johan on Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
My extreme-macro.co.uk site, a learning site. Your comments and input there would be gratefully appreciated.

lonepal

Post by lonepal »

johan wrote:I don't think that MPE65 vs LW25 is the real argument - if you're a Canon user most will probably still get MPE65 because of its range, auto aperture, full frame distortionless coverage, integration into Canon and the fact it's pretty darned handy all round. Heck most of us own one and it's pretty handy. It has better range and it is automatic, 2 USPs LW25 doesn't have.

For photographers using others marques though, like Nikon, Pentax etc that don't have an MPE65 in their range I think the real debate is whether LW25 is preferable to other existing solutions for them like reversed lenses, Raynox use, darkroom lenses, and my hunch is that yes, it will appeal to many - a value for money all-in-one package. For them it's an improvement over carrying all sorts of bits around so sure, they'll buy it. And that's why it's purposefully manual, to be brand-agnostic, to be able to tap into that exact market.

So, imo, great to see investment in an extreme macro optic by a manufacturer, opening extreme macro to the masses.

As for Canon users and MPE65 vs LW25 - sure some will buy each. MPE65 is a great 1:1-5:1 all-round automatic lens. LW25 doesn't quite match that but also costs less - bottom line you get what you pay for, and I think as a Canon user you get more convenience with MPE65, which does matter. Futzing around for field shots using a LW25 with a manual aperture with a limited magnification range simply isn't as field-convenient as MPE65.

So, no, not going to kill MPE65, but it's definitely a handy addition for non Canon photographers.
Hi Johan, I think %100 same. Thanks.
Regards.
Omer

microman

Post by microman »

Yeah, i think its great what Laowa does. Looking forward to see what it can do in the field coming summer. I wont get one as have gone a different route but its interesting to see what it can do in the right hands.

anvancy

Post by anvancy »

johan wrote:I don't think that MPE65 vs LW25 is the real argument - if you're a Canon user most will probably still get MPE65 because of its range, auto aperture, full frame distortionless coverage, integration into Canon and the fact it's pretty darned handy all round. Heck most of us own one and it's pretty handy. It has better range and it is automatic, 2 USPs LW25 doesn't have.

As for Canon users and MPE65 vs LW25 - sure some will buy each. MPE65 is a great 1:1-5:1 all-round automatic lens. LW25 doesn't quite match that but also costs less - bottom line you get what you pay for, and I think as a Canon user you get more convenience with MPE65, which does matter. Futzing around for field shots using a LW25 with a manual aperture with a limited magnification range simply isn't as field-enabling as MPE65.

Thanks Johan for brilliantly summarizing and clearing my doubts.

I will keep your points handy the next time I am asked if the MPE is a better buy against the LW25.
www.anvancy.com

Raynox 150|Raynox 250|Raynox MSN 202|Canon MPE 65mm|Canon 100mm.|Wemacro Rail

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

Points acknowledged, it has a patches of usefulness, but small ones. I expect a good proportion of buyers will be dismayed at what else you need to do to get the images they hope for. It won't appeal so much to those who already do know, perhaps.
I expect there will be a supply of little-used ones on ebay before too long!

It's great to see Venus nudging the envelope, though.
Chris R

mjkzz

Post by mjkzz »

I think I will grab one as soon as it comes out.

morfa

Post by morfa »

I agree with Johan to a large degree!

And I'd like to add a couple of points:

1) For studio work the Laowa beats my (!) MPE across the 2.5–5X range. But perhaps my copy of the MPE has taken one too many beating or it was simply not up to par to begin with (?!).

2) The range of the MPE makes it far superior as a stand alone alternative. BUT, if you use the MPE in combination with a regular macro lens (90-105mm) + Raynox DCR-250, the Laowa 25/2.8 deserves another look!

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

If the IQ difference you're showing does hold up, then in the studio where the manual diaphragm doesn't matter and the small size helps, sure it'll earn its place :).
Chris R

Macro_Cosmos

Post by Macro_Cosmos »

ImageFormation of Structure by Macro Cosmos (DH)

This is what the bokeh balls look like at 2.8.

Macro_Cosmos

-

Post by Macro_Cosmos »

I find no issue with viewfinder darkness, but I also shoot solely in my studio.

Laowa has a ring light addon which could help dramatically. I didn't order one as I have no interest in field work... yet?

Either way, inevitably people are going to compare the two. People who don't care much about 1-2.5x and have been dealing with dark viewfinders using various tactics could be pleased with the Laowa 25mm.

I'm in the middle of building up a simple system that allows to me create panoramas. I have a beetle that I want a full body shot of.
ImageDSC_5564 1 by Macro Cosmos (DH), on Flickr

Evidently there's some grime on it. Cleaning the thing is gonna be a bit tricky, anything that works beside decon 90? As usual, I am still learning and I appreciate any advice.

Keithcooper

A review of the Laowa 25mm Macro

Post by Keithcooper »

Following on from the tests earlier, I've written up some notes about using the Laowa 25mm alone with a brief comparison with my MP-E65 (which it marginally bests IMHO)

http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/laow ... ro-review/

Hope it's of some interest
bye for now
Keith Cooper

Keithcooper

Post by Keithcooper »

ChrisR wrote:Points acknowledged, it has a patches of usefulness, but small ones. I expect a good proportion of buyers will be dismayed at what else you need to do to get the images they hope for. It won't appeal so much to those who already do know, perhaps.
I expect there will be a supply of little-used ones on ebay before too long!

It's great to see Venus nudging the envelope, though.
This is how I got my used MP-E65, TS-E90 and TS-E24 (mk1) lenses - all barely used in boxes ;-)

In the review I've put up I do try and emphasise that just buying a lens like the Laowa doesn't make great photos. But if more people took note of that, where would new camera and lens sales be at ;-)
bye for now
Keith Cooper

irass

Post by irass »

John Hallmen made a great stack with L25 lens :):

http://www.venuslens.net/wp-content/upl ... allmen.jpg
Ireneusz Irass Wal?dzik
https://www.flickr.com/photos/irass

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic