Experiments with Russian fluorescence > Update >

Images made through a microscope. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

WalterD

Experiments with Russian fluorescence > Update >

Post by WalterD »

My current project is "retrofitting" a russian Lomo Lumam R1 fluorescence microscope. (you can read about that process here: https://www.photomacrography.net/forum/ ... hp?t=36484 )
This was the scope I've been using when I started to post in this forum about three years ago, without fluorescence though.

Observed some stuff that was found readily available: pollen (unmounted)(1), the tip of a geranium leaf (2)and moss(3&4).
Objectives used 40x/0.65 (1) , the rest the lowest magnification 9x/0.20. This is epi-fluorescence; the light is coming from above and directed through the objective.
For pollen the green filter block was used, the other 3 were done with the blue block. The geranium leaf was green for real; due to fluorescence the chlorophyl shows up red in the picture.
Somehow with the moss (that also contains chlorophyl) that turned out different, though for both the same exciter filter was utilized.
An interesting aspect of fluorescence is that one can stain without actually staining, besides the red chlorophyl, noted cellulose like material turns up white.

Thanks for looking!
Last edited by WalterD on Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

micro_pix

Post by micro_pix »

Good work. I think the moss images are very nice.

Jacek

Post by Jacek »

Good job !

sushidelic

Post by sushidelic »

Moss looks great!

carlos.uruguay

Post by carlos.uruguay »

Super!

WalterD

Post by WalterD »

Good to hear that. You mentioned moss in particular, I agree that moss can be a very good match with the blue filter block I've been using.
So continued with the same sample, that was actually taken about 5 months ago and kept a bit moist since then. The next three images may give a better impression of the process; it almost looks like parts of the moss have turned into a lamp!

The light from the HBO100 mercury arc lamp does have an impact on the material, sometimes it looks like the vulnerable moss leafs are shriveling up.
Furthermore the (a.o. red) radiation from the leafs is initially the strongest and weakens within minutes, e.g. in photo 6 the session started with red radiation and halfway that slowly turned into green. For this image the combination of shriveling and colour change made the actual stacking more difficult (or "challenging" I should say). The upper/right half of that picture was done last, (second half of the stack) you can see the colour difference.
In picture 7 there is a significant difference in brightness between the left and right part. Basically this is how the fluorescence worked out on that piece of moss, while the settings remained identical.
The many different colours in picture 5 were actually there, (not enhanced whatsoever) but became more distinct when doing the stack.

For these sessions a medium frame Canon 70D was utilized, like all my other pictures. In this case without the afocal setup, so the image coming from the objective projected straightaway on the sensor.
Keep an eye on further updates (also of my post in equipment discussions) as I fortunately was able to find a very reasonably priced full frame body!

Note: all 9x/0.21 epi objective.

carlos.uruguay

Post by carlos.uruguay »

:smt038

GaryB

Post by GaryB »

Those are some spectacular colors, very well done.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic