Diatoms *new images*

Images made through a microscope. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

zzffnn

Post by zzffnn »

sushidelic wrote:....Illumination was mostly COL (circular oblique) and playing with the polarizers......
Very beautiful images, Michael!

Did you enhance the contrast a lot in post and darken the background?

My budget polarizers cannot not provide pure black background when fully crossed. My budget LOMO objectives can resolve very well in COL+pol, but my eyepiece view has never been so contrasty with such black background.

Thank you for sharing!

If you did not say those were taken with COL+pol, I would have guessed you used overhead highly oblique external light with very long exposure.
Last edited by zzffnn on Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Smokedaddy

Post by Smokedaddy »

... amazing.

sushidelic

Post by sushidelic »

Oops, I somehow completely missed the additional answers, sorry - so thanks a lot!

@zzffnn: Contrast adjustments and background cleanup / darkening are quite substantial on those shots. With an oiled DF condenser & planapos, there are so many depolarizing optical elements in the way that the background just darkens a bit when crossing them. It really helps adding detail to the small structures though. So yes, it does indeed look quite different through the eyepieces, but I try to figure what it can look like after editing, not what it actually looks like :).

Best regards,
Michael

Cactusdave

Post by Cactusdave »

Beautiful images, both technically and aesthetically.
Leitz Ortholux 1, Zeiss standard, Nikon Diaphot inverted, Canon photographic gear

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic