Laowa 25mm F/2.8 2.5x-5x ultra macro lens

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

Chris, yes, I see that I could rock along one axis and then smoothly connect that to a gif rocking along another axis. The smooth circular rocking of Rik's example and Keith's example is I think more informative.

Keithcooper

Post by Keithcooper »

I've not done much 3D stuff with my work, other than as demos, but here's what I used for the example earlier.

http://www.heliconsoft.com/heliconsoft- ... 3d-viewer/

Perhaps I'm in the wrong forum to mention this though ;-) :-)

... I did get it quite a few years ago ;-)
bye for now
Keith Cooper

Macro_Cosmos

Post by Macro_Cosmos »

Lou Jost wrote:
"As far as I know, it's not optimised for any particular magnification, hence it's fun to use. "
I am afraid those Rayfact lenses are all highly optimized for particular magnifications. See their website for the details of each one.
The website doesn't show every single rayfact lens that Nikon makes. There are ordered to made versions that aren't optimised for particular magnifications, such as the one I own. It's not found on Nikon's website but made by Nikon nonetheless.

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

Macrocosmos, are you sure it isn't optimized for some range? Even the custom ones usually are, I think. The few that have wide ranges seem to need a beta ring, like the old version of the PN 150 or the SK Makro-Varon.

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

Lou Jost wrote:Chris, yes, I see that I could rock along one axis and then smoothly connect that to a gif rocking along another axis. The smooth circular rocking of Rik's example and Keith's example is I think more informative.
Yes it's much prettier. You can arguably get the same information with perspectives at say 4 compass points, which just takes 2, or 3, normal outputs from ZS, (followed by arrangement of the animation.) It only saves memory, though.
Even cooler would be a stereo pair of rotating images. I've tried rocking pairs, but not rock'n roll pairs.
Chris R

Macro_Cosmos

Post by Macro_Cosmos »

Lou Jost wrote:Macrocosmos, are you sure it isn't optimized for some range? Even the custom ones usually are, I think. The few that have wide ranges seem to need a beta ring, like the old version of the PN 150 or the SK Makro-Varon.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure about it. I know a scientist that is in contact with Nikon engineers and he recently acquired a bunch of these lenses as well, still attached to the camera. That was his conclusion after testing them.

I'm willing to believe it; might be an appeal to authority, but the specific lens I own is not found on any Nikon website.

Chris S.
Site Admin

Post by Chris S. »

Keithcooper wrote:http://www.heliconsoft.com/heliconsoft- ... 3d-viewer/

Perhaps I'm in the wrong forum to mention this though ;-) :-)

... I did get it quite a few years ago ;-)
I know you're joking, but to clarify a point that may sometimes be misunderstood, it is absolutely OK to talk about Helicon Focus, or any brand of stacking software, here. This forum is brand agnostic.

--Chris S.

Keithcooper

A bit more Laowa 25mm testing

Post by Keithcooper »

I've had a few more tries with the 25mm, comparing it with my MP-E65.

Effectively I'm seeing the Laowa just pipping the Canon for sharpness.

These two at 4x f/2.8

At f/5.6 the difference between the 6 blade aperture of the Canon and 8 blade of the Laowa is clearer (100% view)

bye for now
Keith Cooper

johan

Post by johan »

Fwiw, my hunch would be that leaving the aperture manual is a way of making sure there's compatibility to many mounts. So almost an MPE, but for all brands - which the market should like.
My extreme-macro.co.uk site, a learning site. Your comments and input there would be gratefully appreciated.

microman

Post by microman »

How is the sharpness @ F8 at say 3X ?

I had alot of fun last summer with the Laowa 60mm 2X Macro using it with a Panasonic GH5 filming insects. It was sharp even at F8 so it was perfect to use as a videolens with enough dof at close macro. With pictures you can always stack but for video its a problem.

Would guess this lens is more suited for pictures and stacking :)
Thanks for sharing, its an interesting lens and will probably be alot cheaper than Canon.

morfa

Post by morfa »

I just published some initial impressions of this lens having used it for the past week. It's written in Swedish but the bot-translated version linked at the top of the article is quite comprehensible.

http://makrofokus.se/blogg/2018/2/7/for ... -2528.html

I've included a quick shootout between the Laowa and the MP-E at 5X and you'll find links to image files in original resolution towards the end of the article.

The Laowa seems visibly sharper at 5X and f/2.8 on a Canon 5DmkII.

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

Nice review, John.:)
Once again, the question of MPE sharpness comes up, in that some owners report that f/2.8 is sharper than f/4 at 5x, and others say it's not :? :?

I wonder if it'll get cloned by another Chinese company, like Oshiro
Chris R

microman

Post by microman »

I agree, very through and comprehensive review. Looking forward to more samples. I also live in Sweden so i know how it feels waiting for spring and bugs. :x

morfa

Post by morfa »

Once again, the question of MPE sharpness comes up, in that some owners report that f/2.8 is sharper than f/4 at 5x, and others say it's not
Yes, I was actually surprised by the lacking sharpness of the MPE @ f/2.8 and 5X. I suppose a simple answer would be that it's a question of sample variation. A friend of mine uses two copies at his workplace – both produce indistinguishable results at 1-4X but he tells me one is significantly worse at 5X.

Macro_Cosmos

Post by Macro_Cosmos »

I just received my Laowa 25mm 2.5-5x Ultra Macro lens. I'll just call it LW25 here.

ImageLaowa 25mm 2.5-5x Ultra-macro In Hands by Macro Cosmos (DH)
ImageLaowa 25mm 2.5-5x Ultra-macro Size Comparison by Macro Cosmos (DH)

It really is a cute little thing, fits perfectly in my hands. It's the same size as my 95mm f/4 Rayfact lens. A bunch of extension is needed to get my 95mm to 2.5:1 though, so with that taken into account, the 95mm line scanner lens is massive.

ImageLaowa 25mm 2.5-5x Ultra-Macro Sitting in its Box by Macro Cosmos (DH)

The Lens Collar, with the lens it its box. Mine was opened and tested prior to shipping, or else it should come in an air-tight vacuum bag. I tried and lens collar and it's a bit disappointing. My setup is perfectly centered, using the lens collar throws it off a little bit. I wouldn't worry at all though, the lens is light weight and will be fine without that small collar. Even fully zoomed in (5x), it balances very well. It is evidently way shorter than and smaller than the Canon MPE.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic