DIY Jansjo LED fiber optic light guide

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

ztt74

Post by ztt74 »

Hi Chris, thanks. I also edited the post to ensure the picture comparing the different jansjo mods was labeled consistently. "DIY Jansjo LED fiber optic light guide" works for me too.

cheers,
Jon

All Ex

Post by All Ex »

Sorry about my ignorance my friends but since that lights are based on emitting diodes they won't need diffusion? I`ve already ordered the components of making that set up and I`m thinking to include it, as a suggestion in a relative YouTube video I`m making. You see I`ve used 2 Jansjo ones and a cheap made in Hong Cong one with very poor results.
All--Ex
My YouTube initial video

soldevilla

Post by soldevilla »

Here my mod of Ikea focus. A bit more complicated than the original in this thread, but to find out how to dismantle the focus without breaking the circuit I had to use a forceful methods ... My other modified focus seems more normal, although this is nicer.

My opinion? A very good mod. Now I can illuminate very precise small reflectors in places were it was previously impossible. Although I am not sure about it, my feeling is that now there is less diffuse light that ends up entering the lens and this produces some final colors in the image more vibrant and contrasted. In the images that I have made with this lighting, post-processing has been very easy, I have not had to modify contrast or saturation.

The fiber optic fingers are surprisingly good. I expected a bundle of disordered fiber optic, which is enough to drive light, but it is really ordered fiber, it is curious to pass the fiber finger over a paper and see the text pass in the circle on the other end. This I suppose that it helps that the light that comes out does it in a very focused way and helps to avoid parasitic light in the optics.

The only small problem (very small) is that the flexible arm of Ikea is at the limit to support the weight of its focus, and adding these pieces has a tendency to fall slowly. Maybe the Ikea lamp with the short arm does not have this problem, I do not know. But it is the least of my worries, now.

Sorry for the noisy picture with the smartphone...

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic