Canon MP-E 65mm f/2.8 vs Oshiro 60mm f/2.8 2x Lens Test

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

enricosavazzi

Post by enricosavazzi »

ray_parkhurst wrote:
enricosavazzi wrote:Just as a note on macro lenses on full-frame Sony Alpha, I finally gave in and got an A7R Mii (not Miii, too expensive i.m.h.o. for what it offers above the Mii).....
Wow, excellent timing. I was looking last night at maybe buying a Sony 7Rii or 7Riii and using Capture One Pro. I looked on their website and saw that Pro allows on-screen Live View, perhaps like CMN or EOS Utility. Are you using it with C1Pro? Your results sound very hopeful and are making me lean heavily that way. I also thought the 7Riii did not offer much benefit over the 7rii so would likely go the same way. How are you triggering shutter for stacks?
I am not there yet, still waiting for a wired remote to cannibalize for connecting the camera to my home-made Arduino stacker. Still waiting for several other bits and pieces, including Godox transmitter for AD200 flash, battery eliminator for the camera etc.

I have a Lilliput monitor connected to the HDMI camera output, which makes it somewhat easier to focus at maximum magnification, but have not figured out yet how to assign the magnifier to a custom button to avoid getting into the menus to start this function.

My stacker is equipped with four relays under software control, so I should be able to use two of them (half-press + full-press) for triggering the camera shutter and one for triggering the flash in manual mode after the shutter opens (regardless of whether the camera can actually trigger a flash in electronic shutter mode). Whether the idea will work in practice remains to be seen. If it doesn't, continuous illumination will be the solution to use for stacking.
--ES

Doppelgänger

Post by Doppelgänger »

Interesting test. Would like to see your analysis on the new Laowa 25mm F/2.8 2.5x-5x.

Rather than static shots, how about comparisons on live subjects (or fungi/flowers) where bokeh and rendering considerations can be viewed?

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

Doppelgänger wrote:Interesting test. Would like to see your analysis on the new Laowa 25mm F/2.8 2.5x-5x.
Hopefully that will happen soon. I didnt see one available online yet, not even on the Laowa site.
Doppelgänger wrote: Rather than static shots, how about comparisons on live subjects (or fungi/flowers) where bokeh and rendering considerations can be viewed?
I hear what you are saying. I have used potted plants before, at least these would allow me to control the conditions better but if I remember correctly the bokeh was hard to match between lenses. I might try that again soon.

Thanks for the advice!

All the best,

Robert

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic