Mirrorless camera recommendation

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

I should have mentioned that this was with the PEN F. The newer OM-D 1 should be much faster.

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

Great info Lou.

Have you tried using an MFT telephoto as tube lens for infinite objective, and stacking by shifting slightly from infinite focus? Or similar technique using a stacked prime on an MFT telephoto?

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

Yes Ray, but the range of focus is narrow. I have not done this too extensively.

Edit-- I need to shoot some katydid genitalia today or tomorrow, will try this technique. What m are you most interested in?

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

Lou Jost wrote:Yes Ray, but the range of focus is narrow. I have not done this too extensively.

Edit-- I need to shoot some katydid genitalia today or tomorrow, will try this technique. What m are you most interested in?
I mostly shoot 5x.

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

5x on an APS sensor? For the same FOV that would be about 3.5x on MFT. Will try that.

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

Ray, I tried a 7.5x Mitu on a 75mm MFT lens and the difference between infinity focus and closest focus was about 1mm depth on the subject. Also, I expect that at closest focus, the image would be slightly degraded. Putting the same 7.5x objective on the 60mm macro lens, with its much longer focus throw, gave me a depth of 10mm, but with some serious distortion at the closest distances; there is also vignetting with this combo, as you might expect since I am pushing the 7.5x objective down to nearly 2x.

So generally this is not great for you unless your subjects are quite flat (which may be true of coins....)

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

Yes, most of my stacks are fairly shallow, ~200um, occasionally 300um.

I looked around for a 180mm or 200mm prime that would fit MFT, but I don't see much available.

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

The Oly MFT 40-150 Pro zoom, which is an exceptionally sharp zoom even at its longest focal length, is being used for stacking here:
http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... hlight=dew
Not sure where the blue fringe around the edges of the dewdrops comes from; he is also using a teleconverter.

jojm

Post by jojm »

Lou, thank you to point to my post.
Yes, I was very disappointed by these blue fringes around the drops.
I think there is something to do with the subject of this thread.
http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... hp?t=36205
I explain. For my studio job, now in the range 4x/5x I use a Mitutoyo X5 brand new purchased at the end of last year!
Following different test, I've found that I have better result with the Mitutoyo lens at the nearest position I can near the lens tube.
It was not the same with the Nikon 4x as I used to add a 55 mm between lenses to get better results.
For this outside test where I didn't want to go with the Mitutoyo, I forget to add the additional tube before shooting.

Jan Steinman

Post by Jan Steinman »

Lou Jost wrote:For Olympus cameras, any MFT lens will work, but not regular 4/3 lenses, even though these can be autofocused with the use of an adapter for MFT. (I should note that I have not actually tried it on ordinary Four thirds lenses, but the Oly literature says it doesn't work.)
Just tried it with the excellent 4/3rds 12-60mm ƒ2.8-3.5 ED. Doesn't work. The "Focus Bracketing" menu item is greyed out.
:::: Jan Steinman ::::

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

OK, heading this in a little different direction...

Who out there is using Sony cameras with Capture One Pro? This seems like a combination that meets my criteria, but it's hard to tell from marketing fluff. If I went with a A7Rii or A7Riii, it appears that Capture One Pro would allow Live View tethering and camera control. Is this wireless only or wired tethering? Does it integrate well into stacking worflow with wired shutter release? Would like to hear from folks who are using this combo.

JohnyM

Post by JohnyM »

I've answered your question in other topic. Tho Im not using C1, i've recomended good alternative. Tethering of A7RII is wired. You cannot use anything else (ie: motor rail - as it's using same MultiUSB port) if connected to PC, but you can still get live view via HDMI screen.

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

JohnyM wrote:I've answered your question in other topic. Tho Im not using C1, i've recomended good alternative. Tethering of A7RII is wired. You cannot use anything else (ie: motor rail - as it's using same MultiUSB port) if connected to PC, but you can still get live view via HDMI screen.
Great info JM. I see the Sony software now supports tethered (wired) Live View on the 7R2/7R3. I'm wondering if the shutter can be triggered by cable from an MJKZZ/WeMacro/StackShot system while the tethered Live View is active? You seem to be saying "no" but want to make sure. For my Canon camera, I have to activate Live View onto the camera Live View screen for the external triggering to work. I wonder if there is a similar workaround for Sony? Having to set up a separate HDMI monitor is highly undesirable for me.

edited to add: Holy Moly, I see that the 7R3 supports "Pixel Shift Multi-Shooting", compositing 4x 42MP images.

JohnyM

Post by JohnyM »

Hello. Shutter cannot be triggered by MotorRail cable, because you are using the USB Multiport to connect it to PC. BUT wemacro offers IR remote for Sony cameras. I dont know if it gonna work as intended, BUT i know that you can still use Sony IR remote while camera is connected to PC so my guess is yes.

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

Couple more questions...

Will Aperture Priority mode work with non-E-Mount lenses? Or does it go to full manual with non-CPU / manual / bellows attached?

Is "Silent Shooting" a full electronic shutter operating mode?

What is "MTP PC Interface Mode"? It is different from "PC Remote Mode".

Edited to add: I think these questions are valid for the 7Rii...anyone using a 7Rii that can answer the above?

Edited to add: found some answers...Aperture priority works fine, and silent shooting is indeed full electronic shutter with full bit depth. Still not sure about MTP...

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic