Clearing/Deleting duplicate photos uploaded?

Images made through a microscope. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Mike

Clearing/Deleting duplicate photos uploaded?

Post by Mike »

Hello all,

As the title says, need help on deleting multiple copies of same photo uploaded to gallery (obviously in error!), and also advice on how many photos/how much space is allocated for each gallery.

Not very intuitive.

Thanks,
Mike
"Nil satis nisi optimum"

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

As far as I know, the forum software provides no mechanism for deleting uploaded images. There are no individual limits on accounts or galleries.

I agree completely that it's not very intuitive. There's a lot to not like about the image upload facility.

On the bright side: it does get the job done, people get used to it quickly enough, and it doesn't take much attention from Admin.

--Rik

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

You can delete a post if it has not been responded, you can also edit a post with the button "edit" at any time.

Don't worry, I'll delete your duplicated post. There is not limit of posted pictures other than the limits explained at our posting guidelines http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... highlight=
Pau

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

Mike, sorry, we have deleted both threads. I'm attempting to recover one of them
Pau

Mike

Post by Mike »

Hello Pau & Rik,

Thanks for the responses, and no problem with deleting those threads - not exactly the loss of a Shakespeare play! And beyond that, my personal thanks to all the admins for the great work they do - for the most part a thankless job but all too necessary.

Back to my question - I certainly forgot the size limitations on uploaded photos and perhaps that is contributing to my problem; but how does one delete photos from a gallery? Or are they there for eternity?

Second, I cannot upload any additional photos so am guessing I have run into a limit of some kind.

Thanks in advance for all the help.

All the best,
Mike
"Nil satis nisi optimum"

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

There's nothing apparently wrong in our normal views :-s

We can see "recently uploaded" images in a list, whether used or not, but there aren't any from you, Mike. (since Tuesday 9am forum-time).

It's worth re-checking you ticked all those (peculiar) boxes to upload...
Browse - then make sure the filename does come up in the forum upload window to the right of the Browse button
then [send]
then [standard]

:?:
Chris R

Mike

Post by Mike »

Hello Chris,

Thanks for getting back to me. I am apparently not explaining the dilemma properly - I can see the photos in the gallery, but A. cannot delete them (there are triplicates of at least one, and B. cannot load any additional photos.

I appreciate I need to keep the size down, and if you would, please just erase any photos added in the last week to my gallery - perhaps that will clear the problem.

All the best,
Mike
"Nil satis nisi optimum"

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

I am not aware of any upload restrictions that depend on history in any way. It should not matter what you currently have in your gallery.

Restrictions are image size 1024x1024 pixels max, file length 300 KB max, file types as listed in the upload dialog (jpg, jpeg, pjpeg, gif, png). If your images are too big by pixel count then the forum software will automatically downsize them, using some interpolation method that you probably won't like. If your images have an OK number of pixels, but the file is too long, then the upload will be refused.

By far the best approach is to resize the images yourself to be 1024 max, then save as JPEG using a compression quality that produces file length < 300 KB.

Uploading is covered in much more detail at http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7 .

If you continue to have problems, please tell us exactly what messages you're getting, and what the image characteristics are (file name, image size in pixels, file length in bytes).

--Rik

Mike

Post by Mike »

Hello Rik,

Thanks for the quick response.

I appreciate this may be a minor point, but being a bit (!) OCD I hate having those duplicate/triplicate images taking up room.

I will resize and then attempt an upload.

Thanks for the work you guys do!

Mike
"Nil satis nisi optimum"

Mike

Pol shots of Potassium Ferrocyanide

Post by Mike »

Example photo uploadedImage

OK - apparently all works as designed when the operator works as designed!

Mike
"Nil satis nisi optimum"

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Mike wrote:I appreciate this may be a minor point, but being a bit (!) OCD I hate having those duplicate/triplicate images taking up room.
I feel your pain. Alas, taking time to extend the software to allow deleting images would conflict with my own OCD about other things. Trust me, the space taken up by your unneeded uploads is far down on our list of things to worry about.

BTW, I notice that your image seems to have a lot of radial chromatic aberration, especially noticeable as cyan/red fringes around the white rectangles. Removing the fringes in Photoshop takes a half-dozen passes of the Lens Correction filter, at max settings for Fix Red/Cyan Fringe and/or Fix Blue/Yellow fringe.

What optics are you using, that produces such strong fringing?

--Rik

Mike

Post by Mike »

Hello Rik,

Had me thinking there for a moment, but checked the EXIF and it seems I did that one in March 2004, the microscope would have been a Leitz Orthoplan with likely NPL objectives, BUT the camera at that time was a Nikon Coolpix 950 - and considering I think it did a darned good job!

My current setup uses a Nikon D200 dSLR mated to the Orthoplans using a Nikon UFX-DXII system, and I'd expect a bit better performance.

Appreciate your taking the time to clean it up - how does it look afterwards?

All the best,
Mike
"Nil satis nisi optimum"

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Mike wrote:Appreciate your taking the time to clean it up - how does it look afterwards?
Mixed. The white rectangles can be made pretty clean, and at the same time the filtering removes some previously unnoticed fringes around the main central block of many colors. But there is some loss of sharpness especially in the dark section of the pink crystal at bottom, and only some shifting (not complete correction) of fringes around the big white crystal at upper right.

Filtering in post-processing is always a poor substitute for avoiding fringes in the first place with better optics. By the time the image has gone through the sensor, a really clean correction is no longer possible because too many wavelengths have been bundled together into a single number.

--Rik

Mike

Post by Mike »

Hello Rik,

Agree 100% re post-processing - always seems to me to be a bandaid fix at best.

Frankly I was a bit surprised when I checked the EXIF and saw it was the CP950 - considering a spun plastic lens known to have concentric rings artifacts, not a bad shot!

One of the reasons I have been attempting to get new shots with my current system, but for some reason am not getting the crystal colors as I did 14 years or so ago.

Will keep swinging!

All the best,
Mike
"Nil satis nisi optimum"

Mike

Post by Mike »

Rik,

In case you are still watching - here is a shot made recently with the D200/Nikon UFX-DX setup:

Mike
"Nil satis nisi optimum"

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic