Nikon EFCS & Flash

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

mawyatt

Post by mawyatt »

Thanks Robert.

The lighting is with 5 strobes with large 7" reflectors, one strobe (XPLOR 600) is used as a simple optical trigger mentioned, so it doesn't contribute much to the image exposure. I use a 40cm cube light tent over the chip and holding fixture, with the lens poking in from the side (horizontal rig) with the strobe scattered around the perimeter and white foam board as reflectors.

All this gives a pretty uniform illumination and I can control the gradient by varying the intensity of the strobes outputs.

Not good enough for chips with solder balls though, I need to go double diffusion or even triple diffusion I've found.

Best,
Research is like a treasure hunt, you don't know where to look or what you'll find!
~Mike

Saul

Post by Saul »

mawyatt wrote:...Not good enough for chips with solder balls though, I need to go double diffusion or even triple diffusion I've found.
Hi Mike,
Did you try combining it with cross-polarization ?
BR,
Saul
μ-stuff

mawyatt

Post by mawyatt »

Saul wrote:
mawyatt wrote:...Not good enough for chips with solder balls though, I need to go double diffusion or even triple diffusion I've found.
Hi Mike,
BR,
Hi Saul,

I did some polarization long ago, but not lately. I recall it wasn't too good, but that was early on so might show better results now I have abetter idea of what's going on.

Thanks for the note to remind me, I'll have to get to sometime.

Best,

Mike
Research is like a treasure hunt, you don't know where to look or what you'll find!
~Mike

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

Saul wrote:
Hi Mike,
BR,
Good idea Saul!

Robert

Saul

Post by Saul »

mawyatt wrote:... I did some polarization long ago, but not lately. I recall it wasn't too good, but that was early on so might show better results now I have a better idea of what's going on...
Hi Mike,
My two cents -for the specimen I'm using small cylinder from the polarizing film, surrounded by diffusing material and normal polarizing filter on the objective. That helps with curved surfaces.
If you have complicated case, you can make few stacks for the problematic area, using different positions of the analyzer (while rotating it , you'll see that bright spot will go to the different place on the curved area) and combine them with PS layers.

BR,
Saul
μ-stuff

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic