www.photomacrography.net :: View topic - Some questions on cell phone photography
www.photomacrography.net Forum Index
An online community dedicated to the practices of photomacrography, close-up and macro photography, and photomicrography.
Photomacrography Front Page Amateurmicrography Front Page
Old Forums/Galleries

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Some questions on cell phone photography

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Photography Through the Microscope
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GaryB

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:00 pm    Post subject: Some questions on cell phone photography Reply with quote

Hey all, first off, I've never owned a cell phone so if the questions seem basic, that's why Smile

So, off we go ...

After struggling to scrape cash together for a better dslr, I had to admit defeat. I just don't have the spare cash because of rising costs and fixed income, as a result I'm looking into something along the lines of a used samsung galaxy s5 for around $100 or so. It appears to take passable pictures, and from what i've been able to make out it has the ability to mirror to a computer which could provide a nice 'live view' on a bigger screen at a much better framerate that most other cheap options i've looked at and allow remote operation for capturing pics and video. can anyone verify this?

Has anyone here taken passable pics through the eyepiece with a phone, if so, would you be willing to post a couple of samples. I've looked around and it's surprisingly difficult to find phone shots taken through microscopes.

If I do buy a used and unlocked phone, do they still function fine as plain old wifi for apps and camera use? As I said, never owned one so I don't know the limitations of 'non-carrier phone' use, I just want remote camera operation through a PC or tablet and file transfer. I'll be making my own phone caddy for the eyepiece.

thanks for any help on this.
Tom Jones

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GaryB,

Here is a Micscape article I wrote on using your cell phone camera for high quality still and video microscopy: http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/mag/artapr16/tj-cell-phone-photomicro.pdf

Hopefully it will answer most of your questions. As you will see, the results can be surprisingly good. The Galaxy S5 is what I used to take the photos in the article. I still have it.

Tom
GaryB

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank, Tom

That looks pretty good, the quality is better than I'm getting with anything I currently have. Do these phones work for photo purposes without a carrier? Like I mentioned, I just want it for photo use and some wifi functionality. If so, I'm in! Very Happy
Smokedaddy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

... just my 2 cents. I'm totally happy with my Canon 50D. Over the last year I've been lucky to find a few 50D's with super low shutter count for less than $250. You can probably find one cheaper with a higher shutter count.
Tom Jones

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GaryB,

No carrier needed that I know of. You can download the photos via WiFi or USB, or just show them on your phone.

Tom
Pau
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good camera phone can be a real alternative. The main issues are the very wide angle objectives and their inherent limitations as cameras: no raw, all auto...
Here you have a quick hand held test I did few months ago when I got a Samsung A5 2017. I was really surprised
Full frame

100% crop

Ditoms prepared slide. Leitz PL Fluotar 40/0.70 with Leitz Periplan 10x eyepiece. Zeiss Standard DIC microscope

A compact camera with a short zoom can be more adequate
GaryB

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys!

Just ordered a used Galaxy s6 and looking forward to having much better success taking pictures than before Very Happy
GaryB

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Supposedly with an upgrade to the OS you can get photo apps that allow full manual control of the camera as well as RAW shooting, so that should help a lot. Combined with tethered shooting and RAW processing I think it should be quite a good solution for me so long as the phone itself works ok Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Photography Through the Microscope All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: