www.photomacrography.net :: View topic - Plan objectives for AmScope T490B?
www.photomacrography.net Forum Index
An online community dedicated to the practices of photomacrography, close-up and macro photography, and photomicrography.
Photomacrography Front Page Amateurmicrography Front Page
Old Forums/Galleries

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Plan objectives for AmScope T490B?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Beginners Micro
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CLSI

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:31 pm    Post subject: Plan objectives for AmScope T490B? Reply with quote

Like many others here, I'm looking to make the move from macro photography to photomicroscopy, and I'm feeling a little overwhelmed by the microscope options. I've pretty much settled on getting some variation of the AmScope T490B as a relatively cheap way to get started, with the goal of eventually learning enough that I can some day make a better-informed purchase of a higher quality used microscope.

I have a Canon 7D, and I'm planning to attempt an afocal setup (from what I can tell, AmScope's Canon DSLR adapter, CA-CAN-SLR, is pretty much worthless). Of the thousand (or so) questions I've got, the one I think I'm least likely to find already answered in the forums is whether it would be worthwhile springing an extra $50 for AmScope's plan achromatic objectives (rather than just achromatic). I expect I'll be doing a lot of focus stacking, and a comment I came across in one of the forums seemed to suggest that plan objectives were less important for focus stacking. Is that correct? I admit, it's hard to imagine that $50 spread across four objectives can make much difference in image quality, but maybe it's worth it.

Another issue is that the setup with plan objectives (T490B-PL) doesn't come with an LED option. A second question, then, would be whether I'd wind up boiling my pond critters with the 6v/20w halogen bulb in the plan scope.

I'd welcome insight into either of these questions, and if you have thoughts about other microscopes in the $300 to $400 range that might better serve my purpose, please don't hesitate to tell me about them.
Ichthyophthirius

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

As a complete beginner on a modest budget, you have several options:

(1) buy a very cheap second-hand microscope from one of the smaller companies (Lomo, PZO, AO) and learn microscopy with it; later move on without much of a financial loss

(2) buy a cheap new microscope; the quality is very variable; might work quite well but the re-sale value is low, usually a completely write-off, any extra money you sink into this is lost in the end

(3) buy a second-hand basic stand from one of the large manufacturers with modular microscope systems (Zeiss, Leitz, Olympus, Nikon) and upgrade the stand later with the techniques that you're interested in

Personally, I would go for Option 3 but I also understand that it's not easy finding a good deal on Ebay as a complete beginner. If you know anybody who can help you and check through a microscope when it arrives, this is the best option. Otherwise I would go for Option 1.

My personal recommendations for the sub-$500 range would be:

Zeiss Standard WL (with 80/20 trinocular head)
Zeiss Standard RA or Standard 18 (with 80/20 trinocular head)
Leitz Dialux 20 or 22
Leitz Ortholux II

Regards, Ichty
CLSI

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Ichthy. I like your ideas in theory, particularly option 3, but after poking around a bit, I don't feel qualified to attempt even option 1 on my own. I'll keep my eyes open and won't rush into option 2 (which, if I understand it, is pretty much what I outlined in my original post) just yet, but if I do resort to it, I can see how extra money sunk into something like plan objectives would be "lost in the end."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Beginners Micro All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: