My review of the Venus KX-800 macro flash

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

anvancy

Post by anvancy »

any diffuser design suggestions for this flash?
www.anvancy.com

Raynox 150|Raynox 250|Raynox MSN 202|Canon MPE 65mm|Canon 100mm.|Wemacro Rail

anvancy

Post by anvancy »

Reviving this thread.

I did a video review of this flash recently for my website.

The link is here: https://youtu.be/XEU-m8-Rozg

Note that the video is around 37mins.
www.anvancy.com

zzffnn

Post by zzffnn »

anvancy wrote:Reviving this thread.

Thank you for the nice review, which helped me form an idea about the macro flash. I rarely sit long enough for long reviews, but I finished yours all in once with interest!

You mentioned using diffusion directly on flash heads. Have you tried putting Vellum paper diffusion around lens, in the form of a long lens hood? I prefer that way but not sure if it will scare away subjects more easily, compared to using diffusion on flash head.

Your comments will be highly appreciated (I don't mean to divert from this thread, but your video inspired me to open another thread about diffusion placement): http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... hp?t=36220
Last edited by zzffnn on Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Selling my Canon FD 200mm F/2.8 lens

anvancy

Post by anvancy »

zzffnn wrote:
anvancy wrote:Reviving this thread.

Thank you for the nice review, which helped me form an idea about the macro flash. I rarely sit long enough for long reviews, but I finished yours all in once with interest!

You mentioned using diffusion directly on flash heads. Have you tried putting Vellum paper diffusion around lens, in the form of a long lens hood? I prefer that way but not sure if it will scare away subjects more easily, compared to using diffusion on flash head.

Your comments will be highly appreciated (I don't mean to divert from this thread, but your video inspired me to open another thread about diffusion placement): http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... hp?t=36220
Thank you Fan for going through the video.
I have been advised by my friends to shorten the length. When you do adhoc videos with no certain script, you lose the track of time.

I will comment on your specific thread too.

I personally feel the vellum or any kind of diffusion material near the lens axis, whether it is the popular concave design/lens hood/ 45 degree ones, it restricts the KX 800.

I will explain this further in your thread.
www.anvancy.com

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

I watched through it too, admittedly, mostly at at 1.5x speed :) . Actually seeing you waggle it about extensively, gives a good ideaa of what the thing is like to handle. It was a bit disturbing that one of the arms has a weak section now. I wonder how long they last if dust or lubricant of some sort gets in.
Chris R

anvancy

Post by anvancy »

Thanks Chris. Hope I didnt look too odd at 1.5x speed.

The quick way to know the arms are working properly is they should squeak. If they are not, probably it means some joint has gone weak.

That section is weak for around 6 months now. Did two rainforest trips in that. performed like a tank. I am keeping a watch on it though. Apply different pressure on the left arm against the right.

The sections are properly sealed so i doubt they will break and fall off.
www.anvancy.com

DavidG1980

Post by DavidG1980 »

Thank you for your review,
Canon users have another good option, instead of shelling a grand on a MT24EX.
There is a new Yongnuo twin flash YN24EX, which unsurprisingly looks exactly like the Canon and offers E-TTL metering for a fraction of the price (140-170$).
It's only available for Canon...

anvancy

Post by anvancy »

Yes the yongnuo YN 24EX is now becoming the standard to go to dual flash unit for canon users.

For nikon it can work as a manual flash.
www.anvancy.com

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic