Lighting for macro photography of fern gametophytes

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

jsp

Post by jsp »

This is what I get with the Mity 10x:

Chris S.
Site Admin

Post by Chris S. »

Jen,

Congrats on your grant! Exciting. :)

I would not be quick to rule out the Mitutoyo 2x. I use my Mitty 2x all the time. Even though I have better lenses for 2x, there is huge convenience in being able to shoot a subject at 2x, 5x, 7.5x, 10x, 20x, 50x, and 100x without repositioning the macro rig, specimen, or lights. Also, there is an advantage in making these lens changes quickly, before a subject specimen dries out or moves.

In a head-to-head test at 2x, some of my other optics would test better. But none would be as convenient in the common situation just described.

Granted, the Mitty 2x has a small amount of axial CA, However, I've found this easy to remove during raw conversion.

NB, I do studio macro on an APS-C crop frame camera. I don't recall ever shooting the 2x Mitty on full frame 36x24mm. I do have the ability to do this. If someone else doesn't know already and report in, and if I don't remember, feel free to nudge me by email and I'll do a quick test for you.

Cheers,

--Chris S.

--edited typos
Last edited by Chris S. on Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

jsp

Post by jsp »

Hi ChrisS,

Thanks so much for looking in. I'm full of curiosity to know what the better optics are now. [smile] I wondered if you would have a minute to tell me? I'm really chasing great optics with this, and keen to not do anything daft by buying something that turns out to be second best.

I've written off-list with more information about my grant, as I'm keen to make sure full attribution is given to your Bratcam and to the others on this list.

I've to write these teaching materials, but I'm keenly aware that the information has all come from the folks on this forum and I want to make sure full attribution is given and that I get my facts right.

Thanks!

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

Very nice images, you got it!

IMO, having the MP-E and a good microscope I would use the first one between 1X and 4X and the microscope for higher than 20X, so with the Mitty 5X and 20X you will be well served, although the convenience highlighted by Chris can be an important factor
Pau

jsp

Post by jsp »

Thanks Pau, that's useful to know. :-) I'm glad you like the images.

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

Hmm, I don't see anything wrong with the first of the MP-E images at the scale shown, but the other two appear to be blurred. Could that be before you cracked a vibration problem?

There are loads of sharp MPE images, even a couple of mine :shock: .

There is one other reason for sticking to the Mitutoyo if you can -
SENSOR DUST! The less you remove the camera lens, the better :( .
But I still wouldn't part with MP-E, unless I had another 1:1 macro lens.
Chris R

jsp

Post by jsp »

That's funny. :-) The MPE images don't look right to me at all, and I know I often think images look great when others don't. I don't really know how to express what I think it wrong with them though.

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

Probably a lighting issue.
The only MP-E eg I can call to mind where there's a fullish frame then a crop is this - it's sharp enough?
Chris R

jsp

Post by jsp »

It's very nice. :-) It's quite different from my subject though isn't it? My ferns come out gritty with the MP-E and I'm not sure why, as they're fine with the Mity.

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

Gritty? :?
Chris R

jsp

Post by jsp »

Yes mine kind of look gritty. I'm not sure why.

jsp

Post by jsp »

This is the 100% for the two images:

Mity 10x

MP-E at 5x

Pitufo

Post by Pitufo »

There is a Canon camera setting which allows for automatic CA correction for each lens (e.g. the MPE65). Do you have this enabled?

jsp

Post by jsp »

Gosh! I'm not sure actually. I'll have a look today and see if it makes a difference. Thanks!

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

Check in DPP.
--

Could this be focus banding?
Chris R

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic