www.photomacrography.net :: View topic - New to Micro, need advice
www.photomacrography.net Forum Index
An online community dedicated to the practices of photomacrography, close-up and macro photography, and photomicrography.
Photomacrography Front Page Amateurmicrography Front Page
Old Forums/Galleries

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
New to Micro, need advice

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Beginners Micro
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jwcollect

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:41 pm    Post subject: New to Micro, need advice Reply with quote

Hi,

I have a Nikon 10x Plan Achromat Infinity Objective attached to the from of my Nikon D600 and a 70-200mm telephoto lenses and I'm having trouble focusing.

I know I may get some vignetting but will this setup work?
Do I need to be right on top of the subject?
Any special setting I need on the camera our lenses?

Thank you
rjlittlefield
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, this should work. Vignetting will be minimized, and the objective will give its rated magnification, when the telephoto is set to 200 mm. The telephoto should be focused at infinity and set to shoot at its widest aperture. The focused subject will be just a few mm in front of the objective. If the objective has some notation like "WD 10.5", then that means "working distance 10.5 mm", and that will be the distance from tip of the objective to the focused subject.

--Rik
Jwcollect

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Rik. Just looked, yes it does have a the 10.5mm working distance.
Pau
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:14 am    Post subject: Re: New to Micro, need advice Reply with quote

Jwcollect wrote:
...and I'm having trouble focusing.

What kind of trouble?

Be aware that the depth of focus is really small and because the small effective aperture you need lots of light. Both factors make focusing with the optical viewfinder somewhat difficult, with a steady setup and good illumination it's easier and also it is with camera live view image. Of course as Rik said set the camera to M at its widest aperture and disable AF. Focusing is done changing in small steps the distance between the subject and the objective tip.
Jwcollect

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Beginners Micro All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: