Jumping Spider video 4K

Images of undisturbed subjects in their natural environment. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

microman

Jumping Spider video 4K

Post by microman »

Dont think i posted any of my videos from this summer, thought i share one i liked. Was a bad summer, too dry so very few insects thougt...

It was shot with a Panasonic GH5 and Laowa 2X lens @ F8 with 2X crop mode enabled in camera plus E-Stabilisation that crops in even further.

Diffraction and lens limits seems to set in abit when cropping in this much but worked pretty well. Sold the gear short after thought as i didnt have time to use it but i look forward to next summer starting over again..

The Jumper was very small mayby 5mm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLNPYDKHmXg

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Adorable, wonderful video and quite sharp! :D At one time I would have freaked out from these little spiders but over the years of photographing them myself and watching their behavior, I have grown to admire them. Yes, I am still an arachnophobic however, most spiders give me the creeps but not these little guys. :lol:

microman

Post by microman »

Ken Ramos wrote:Adorable, wonderful video and quite sharp! :D At one time I would have freaked out from these little spiders but over the years of photographing them myself and watching their behavior, I have grown to admire them. Yes, I am still an arachnophobic however, most spiders give me the creeps but not these little guys. :lol:
Thanks, yeah they are fun to watch for sure.. The ones we have share the hunting grounds with ants so they dont sit still very often or the ants will chase them away / attack. Tracking the brown and black jumpers we have in the forest was a challange so i didnt get alot of footage of them.

Troels

Post by Troels »

That is very cute!
Troels Holm, biologist (retired), environmentalist, amateur photographer.
Visit my Flickr albums

razashaikh

Post by razashaikh »

Great video, Keep up the great work.

zzffnn

Post by zzffnn »

Nice video!

Was it recorded with natural light, LED or how did you lit it? Thank you for sharing!
Selling my Canon FD 200mm F/2.8 lens

microman

Post by microman »

razashaikh wrote:Great video, Keep up the great work.
Thank you ! Its too bad the summer is very short here. Half a year until bugs are back.
zzffnn wrote:Nice video!

Was it recorded with natural light, LED or how did you lit it? Thank you for sharing!

Thanks, it was natural light. I have been looking at different LED solutions but not tried anything yet. I cant have stuff on the front of the lens as it makes finding the target much harder when they are moving about.

The relatively short focal length of the lens combined with the weight and size makes it very good for filming on the ground. Very stable.

When i put my finger in front of the spider in the video i handheld the camera with one hand only resting the front part of the lens onto the ground. I would actually prefere even shorter focal length for insects sitting on trees so i could rest the lens at the tree stem.

SallyFungi

Post by SallyFungi »

Wow! Really sharp.
Fungal taxonomist
Canon 6D Mark II, Stackshot, Nikon Eclipse Ni with DIC, Infinity 3 Luminera microscope camera

microman

Post by microman »

SallyFungi wrote:Wow! Really sharp.
Glad you liked it :)
zzffnn wrote: Was it recorded with natural light, LED or how did you lit it? Thank you for sharing!
One kind of light i might try next year are these JJC LED-8. I can get them for 15$/p.

Here is a video on how they look. They seem pretty bright and they got built in battery. If i connect some flexarms to them it might work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCcNV5YaGPQ&t=2s

Lights has a secondary use also as alot of bugs gets "mesmerised" by light and stands still looking at it instead of running about..

Bernardo

Post by Bernardo »

Great video! I would suggest trying the 4k 60fps on the GH5, so if the spider poses for you for 1 second, you have 2 seconds of great looking, slow-mo footage

microman

Post by microman »

Bernardo wrote:Great video! I would suggest trying the 4k 60fps on the GH5, so if the spider poses for you for 1 second, you have 2 seconds of great looking, slow-mo footage
Thanks, yeah i shoot at 60fps.

I have been thinking using slowmo at some scenes but i would probably need external lightning to get rid of the motionblur. Not even 60fps is sometimes enough when this close up as all motions get magnified. I sold the GH5 thought couple of months ago, dont have much use of it in the winter months.

There is a new camera coming from Panasonic. The GH5s that might be even better for this kind of macro video but i think it will be pretty expensive :/

G9 is cheaper and has 1stop better stabilisation than GH5. Could be nice. Only 10min 4K60fps internal rec thought.

Will be interesting to see what cameras comes out next year. I am now pretty much cameraless..

dragonblade

Post by dragonblade »

Some very nice footage there of an active jumper.
microman wrote:
I have been thinking using slowmo at some scenes but i would probably need external lightning to get rid of the motionblur. Not even 60fps is sometimes enough when this close up as all motions get magnified.
At 60fps, the recommended shutter speed should be around 1/120th. So less blur compared to 1/50th at 25fps or 1/60th at 30fps.

By the way, I received a bellows from eBay recently. I haven't used it yet but looking forward to shooting some video of jumping spiders myself with it.

microman

Post by microman »

dragonblade wrote:Some very nice footage there of an active jumper.
microman wrote:
I have been thinking using slowmo at some scenes but i would probably need external lightning to get rid of the motionblur. Not even 60fps is sometimes enough when this close up as all motions get magnified.
At 60fps, the recommended shutter speed should be around 1/120th. So less blur compared to 1/50th at 25fps or 1/60th at 30fps.

By the way, I received a bellows from eBay recently. I haven't used it yet but looking forward to shooting some video of jumping spiders myself with it.
Thanks, yeah with external lightning i could probably lower the shutterspeed even more to get sharper frames. I used auto shutter-speed to keep the ISO managble.
Especielly as i use 2X crop mode noise gets even more pronounced but i like the larger DOF i get.

Bellows is nice. Regular 1x macro sometimes is not enough. Its sure fun to se what these fun little spiders are up too and video them :)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic