Objective Storage?

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Deanimator

Objective Storage?

Post by Deanimator »

I've got my 4x finite objective rig set up (with tubes for now).

I have a question.

When I use lenses/extension tubes, I'm always sure to have lens caps installed when my rig is not in use.

How do people secure their rigs using microscope objectives.

With lenses, I just need to put on the lens cap.

With the objective rig, I've been removing the objective and putting it back in the storage tube, then removing the adapters and tubes as a unit and putting the body cap on.

Does anyone leave everything in place? If so, how do you protect the objective from dust?

enricosavazzi

Post by enricosavazzi »

In general, I leave everything mounted on the frame when using microscopes (I have only the common vertical downward type), modified microscope stands, and custom built macro stands. I do cover everything with a plastic bag reaching down to the table surface, or a dust cover for the large ones. I may dismount and store separately lenses that I know I will not use for a week or more, or to make room for other equipment I plan to use.

I use vertical setups also for physically larger lenses, which helps to keep dust away from the lens. I cover everything with a dust bag or dust cover if left unused for more than a few hours, and in general I put lens caps on large lenses if I leave them mounted overnight.

I am not aware of any specific caps to cover microscope objectives. There are plenty of different sizes and shapes of microscope objectives, so no standard. In the case of most microscopes with revolver heads, it is however possible to place a plastic bag onto the head (including objectives) and tie it around the microscope tube. In my opinion, however, the best thing remains to completely cover the equipment.

One solution that might help to satisfy the esthetic sense of one's better half is to cover the equipment with a wood box, instead of a plastic or cloth bag. It also has some advantages like making sure that nothing presses on, or touches, delicate pieces of equipment. It is however, in general, less impervious to dust than a cloth or plastic sheet.

I know that some microscopists use modified storage cabinets where they can roll in a whole large microscopes. It is even possible to build cabinets that quickly close completely around the microscope for storage, but open up and fold flat against the wall to leave working space around the scope when the latter is in use. Variations on this theme can no doubt be used for photomacrography setups.
--ES

Beatsy

Post by Beatsy »

Objectives go in their respective containers when not in use but I always leave one mounted on the macro rig. A large "microscope" dust cover over the whole lot keeps everything dust free (including the objective). I bought a selection of sizes from a Chinese vendor on Ebay. Not absolute top quality, but they do the job admirably and were a good price IMO. Example here: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/201610257648

Deanimator

Post by Deanimator »

A cover seems like a good idea.

I'm thinking about maybe a large plastic bin inverted over my rig. There's a local deep discount place that sells storage stuff at very low prices. I'll probably take a look there and at the dollar stores.

mawyatt

Post by mawyatt »

I just use the plastic garbage bags. They seem to do an OK job with dust and debris, certainly not certified for such but convenient and cheap.

Best,

Mike

enricosavazzi

Post by enricosavazzi »

I tried the plastic garbage bags myself. It was fine for long-term storage, but after repeated daily use I had problems with static electricity attracting dust into the bag and then transferring it to the equipment. My place is very dry for most of the year, so static electricity is often a problem. A dust cover (in practice, a tightly woven cloth) seems to work better in this respect, especially if treated with anti-static spray. I have not tried spraying a plastic bag, but since it does not absorb, the spray may end up on the equipment.

I have been unsuccessful with a motorcycle cover for large equipment, bought on eBay. The material was very weak and tore after a few weeks. Better quality motorcycle and lawn mower covers might work. Tarpaulins also seem to work for large equipment, but are a bit too stiff for small tabletop equipment.

Sometimes microscope dust covers (often unused) are available on eBay. Some of them are synthetic cloth of good quality, better than the cheaper plastic sheets. Dust covers for printers may work for some horizontal setups. Dust covers in heavy jeans-like cloth are also available for wood workshop equipment.
--ES

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

I recently bought this cover:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Zeiss-microsco ... 2436412212
It's very nice, my old Zeiss microscope now looks like a new one when covered :lol:
Pau

Deanimator

Post by Deanimator »

Pau wrote:I recently bought this cover:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Zeiss-microsco ... 2436412212
It's very nice, my old Zeiss microscope now looks like a new one when covered :lol:
Thanks.

I'll keep an eye out for something like that.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic