Release stuck adapter from objective

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

DavidG1980

Release stuck adapter from objective

Post by DavidG1980 »

Hi all,
I received a Nikon objective, was mounted on a setup, which included an adapter. The adapter is stubborn and cannot be removed with reasonable force.
I tried to heat the adapter up a bit but it is still stuck.
It looks from the images that the adapter is both female and male ?! strange... anyone seen this?
Any suggestions on how to remove it?
thank you,Image

DavidG1980

Post by DavidG1980 »

lonepal

Post by lonepal »

Hi;

It may be cemented ( I hope not).

Squeeze the adapter with a vice (not too much, do not bend the adapter) then try to unscrew the lens with a rubber strap belt spanner.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-Oil- ... SwyGZZ6sSX
Regards.
Omer

DavidG1980

Post by DavidG1980 »

The problem is that the outer barrel is released instead of the adapter. :cry:

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

DavidG1980 wrote:The problem is that the outer barrel is released instead of the adapter. :cry:
The first part is good, you can have better grip at the actual objective barrel without damaging the delicate external barrel
Pau

DavidG1980

Post by DavidG1980 »

Pau wrote:
DavidG1980 wrote:The problem is that the outer barrel is released instead of the adapter. :cry:
The first part is good, you can have better grip at the actual objective barrel without damaging the delicate external barrel

Should i remove the barrel and try?

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

First be sure that unscrewing the outer shell does not rotate the front lens (this is how my Nikon CFI Plan and many others work being the outer sell only decorative.
You wouldn't gain much grip but at least a more solid surface to apply force (with care!)
Pau

DavidG1980

Post by DavidG1980 »

Thank you guys,
I used some penetrating oil and created a soft jaw pliers from a rubber wrench and a locking jaw pliers, it took me some time since i didn't want to damage anything in the process. The adapter finally caved in and the objective is great.
I did find signs of red threadlocker :shock: this explains the stubbornness of the adapter. Luckily there wasn't too much of the threadlocker, so i was able to release it without applying heat.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic