PN150 with beta ring on ebay now

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Lou Jost

PN150 with beta ring on ebay now

Post by Lou Jost »

Just a heads up to note that finally a Printing Nikkor 150mm with adjustable floating elements has come up on eBay, for $2300, a good price. The seller just joined eBay so it is a bit dicey, but eBay has a refund policy. If I had money I'd buy it.

Search eBay for "Nikon Printing Nikkor A 150mm".

RobertOToole

Re: PN150 with beta ring on ebay now

Post by RobertOToole »

Lou Jost wrote:Just a heads up to note that finally a Printing Nikkor 150mm with adjustable floating elements has come up on eBay, for $2300, a good price. The seller just joined eBay so it is a bit dicey, but eBay has a refund policy. If I had money I'd buy it.

Listing has ended.

I would be careful about bidding on a Chinese seller like that without any history.

Some Chinese Ebay members sell other peoples goods without even having it in their hands. Right now there are 3 or 4 ads of the same 105mm Printing nikkor, all with the same dented rim, is a good example, for $1,300.00, $1,235.22, $1,280.00 with identical images!

This 150 PN might have been a 3rd party seller.

Robert

Chris S.
Site Admin

Post by Chris S. »

My eBay search showed two Printing Nikkor 150mm lenses for sale--the one Lou alerted us to, which sold quickly (item 282740141945), and one still for sale (item 182854209055). (I'm aware that not all items show up in searches from different locales.) The one still for sale is listed for $200 USD more than the one sold ($2700), but comes from a seller with substantial positive feedback. It is also adapted already for the Nikon F mount.

Having in my quiver a PN 105mm that I value highly, I'm not in the market for a PN 150mm. My read of Mark Goodwin's tests (coinimaging.com) makes me think that in real-world shooting around 1x (from a bit below to a bit above), these two lenses would be hard to tell apart. This said, for those able to own both lenses without flinching, having both would surely be fun.

--Chris S.

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

Chris S. wrote:My eBay search showed two Printing Nikkor 150mm lenses for sale--the one Lou alerted us to, which sold quickly (item 282740141945), and one still for sale (item 182854209055). (I'm aware that not all items show up in searches from different locales.) The one still for sale is listed for $200 USD more than the one sold ($2700), but comes from a seller with substantial positive feedback. It is also adapted already for the Nikon F mount.

Having in my quiver a PN 105mm that I value highly, I'm not in the market for a PN 150mm. My read of Mark Goodwin's tests (coinimaging.com) makes me think that in real-world shooting around 1x (from a bit below to a bit above), these two lenses would be hard to tell apart. This said, for those able to own both lenses without flinching, having both would surely be fun.

--Chris S.
When you search 'Printing Nikkor 150mm', click off the 'sold' filter. Looks like 2 more have sold, one for $1200 (!) set up for an machine installation, and one from Thailand sold for $1800.

One issue with the 150PN is focal length, thats a lot of extension at 2X!

Another interesting lens pops up, a Nikon 150mm f5.6 Micro-Nikkor. You don't see lens every day! eBay item number:282428500044

And another, a Nikon Apo El Nikkor 105mm f/5.6 sold two days ago for $2300, the same seller that sold a Computar 55mm f/1.9 for $621 last month.

Robert

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

Having in my quiver a PN 105mm that I value highly, I'm not in the market for a PN 150mm. My read of Mark Goodwin's tests (coinimaging.com) makes me think that in real-world shooting around 1x (from a bit below to a bit above), these two lenses would be hard to tell apart.
The thing about this version of the PN150 is that it goes up to 5x with floating elements, like the SK Makro-Varon but a whole stop faster. This is the only macro lens you would ever need (for studio work) and it would it beat nearly anything else on the market at each of those magnifications.
I would be careful about bidding on a Chinese seller like that without any history.
eBay says that they would refund our money if the item never comes or if it is different from the description. I would have bought this if I could have afforded it now. It looked to be in reasonable shape.

Beware that most PN150 that appear on eBay do NOT have the variable magnification ring and are just for 1:1 work, where an ordinary PN105A would do just fine.

kds315*

Post by kds315* »

Fried of mine bought that one in China as I poitde him to it, as he was waiting for that older type with adjustable floating elements; he already had the new type PN 150 A. He's Paypal protected, so we'll see soon...
Klaus

http://www.macrolenses.de for macro and special lens info
http://www.pbase.com/kds315/uv_photos for UV Images and lens/filter info
http://photographyoftheinvisibleworld.blogspot.com/ my UV diary

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

Hope it works out for him. That was an extremely rare lens at a very good price.

mawyatt

Post by mawyatt »

Lou Jost wrote:Just a heads up to note that finally a Printing Nikkor 150mm with adjustable floating elements has come up on eBay, for $2300, a good price. The seller just joined eBay so it is a bit dicey, but eBay has a refund policy. If I had money I'd buy it.

Lou,

The ones that I get only show the 1X version without the magnification ring?

Best,

Mike

kds315*

Post by kds315* »

Lou Jost wrote:Hope it works out for him. That was an extremely rare lens at a very good price.
I bought mine for much less, but this was a while ago ;-)
Klaus

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

Mike, see above, the one I was recommending got bought already by Klaus' friend.

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

Lou Jost wrote:
eBay says that they would refund our money if the item never comes or if it is different from the description. I would have bought this if I could have afforded it now. It looked to be in reasonable shape.
Imagine getting a lens like that was not packed well, and then turns out there was an image quality problem. That is a case I would not want to be involved in. Paypal will come through for the buyer eventually probably but what a hassle. I have had lots of issues like that over the years.

I have had lenses arrive from South Korea (in 3 days!) where the shipper deserves some kind of award for his careful, well thought out packaging. On the other hand I have had a lens arrive from the UK in a tyvec envelope, yes a machine vision lens, extension tube and Schneider lens in a plastic envelope! You could see the cookie cutter marks in the envelope that the lens made each time it made contact with something. I believe I posted a pic of that here on the forum.

The other thing that I don't like about some 3rd party sellers is the 100% + mark-up they add.

:D

Best of luck to the 150PN buyer.

Robert

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

Lou Jost wrote:
The thing about this version of the PN150 is that it goes up to 5x with floating elements, like the SK Makro-Varon but a whole stop faster. This is the only macro lens you would ever need (for studio work) and it would it beat nearly anything else on the market at each of those magnifications.
5X with a non-internal focussing lens like the 150PN is too much for any of my studio set ups. Could you get that monster to focus at 5X Lou?

Thats something like 3 feet off the top of my head. I am not sure if I own 3 feet total of extension in any size, and none of my rigs have the 3 feet + of travel, more like a single foot. A 200mm internal focusing lens at 1X, which is a lot less than 200mm, is about the limit for me with my Nikon MM :(

Robert

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

mawyatt wrote:

Lou,

The ones that I get only show the 1X version without the magnification ring?

Best,

Mike
Mike, you need to hit the 'sold' filter on the search results to see that one.

FYI:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Nikon-PRINTING ... 2740141945
Last edited by RobertOToole on Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

kds315*

Post by kds315* »

RobertOToole wrote:
Lou Jost wrote:
5X with a non-internal focussing lens like the 150PN is too much for any of my studio set ups. Could you get that monster to focus at 5X Lou?

Thats something like 3 feet off the top of my head. I am not sure if I own 3 feet total of extension in any size, and none of my rigs have the 3 feet + of travel, more like a single foot. A 200mm internal focusing lens at 1X, which is a lot less than 200mm, is about the limit for me with my Nikon MM :(

Robert
Some people, like my friend, do use professional Tilt/Shift Medium/Large format bellows systems,
so as these are not toys, are able to carry such load easily ;-)
Klaus

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

Robert, you are right, that is a lot of extension....at 5x I was having trouble with my 95mm photolithography lens. Could be done, but wouldn't be much fun.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic