www.photomacrography.net :: View topic - Strobe speed
www.photomacrography.net Forum Index
An online community dedicated to the practices of photomacrography, close-up and macro photography, and photomicrography.
Photomacrography Front Page Amateurmicrography Front Page
Old Forums/Galleries

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Strobe speed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Equipment Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mawyatt

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:38 pm    Post subject: Strobe speed Reply with quote

Just did a quick strobe test with the Nikon D850 using CH mode at 7 frames per second. This was an RF link with Adorama Flashpoint Rapid 600 studio strobe. It kept up at 1/4 power for about ~8 shots before missing, I was shooting >10 frames, and at 1/8 it kept up without a missed output.

The XPLOR 600 (AD600) using AC adapter was good as well, it couldn't quite keep up at 1/4, but only missed a few at 1/8 and didn't miss any at 1/16.

The Studio Strobe 300 AC couldn't keep up at 1/16, this was as low as it can go on power.

Anyway, for those folks that want to blast thru a stacking session the Rapid 600 Studio Strobe can probably keep up, and the XPLOR might work also.

Best,

Mike
zzffnn

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much for sharing this information, Mike.

So your test shows that Rapid 600 can keep up with 7 exposures per second, at 1/8 power. But it is much faster, at less power, I assume?

I looked into Rapid 600 and found the following confusing description about flash speed at Adorama:

"......under Multiflash Mode, where the stroboscopic frequency can reach 99 flashes per second. The High-Speed Flash Mode has controllable flash duration is so rapid, it is possible to arrest action at 1/19606s, with up to 10 exposures per second, or take it easy with 'slow' duration at a spectral rich 1/190s burst."

Can it really produce 99 fires per second, at lowest possible power?

I think about 30 fires per second will be more than good enough for me. And I don't usually require consistent color/power. Is the Rapid 600 or XPLOR the best bang for the buck?

I don't know about D850 or its CH (continuous high) mode. Is that mode using electronic shutter?
mawyatt

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the Rapid can keep up at 7FPS at 1/8 power and almost for 1/4 power except it will miss an exposure after 8~9 frames. The Multi Mode each flash is not being individually triggered by the camera, just a fast burst of flash at up to 99 per second.

Both the Rapid 600 & XPLOR are great studio strobes, the XPLOR is battery powered & has the head extension option. The Rapid has a faster recharge, faster optical burst and has a special color control mode.

I use the Studio 300 AC for many of my macro sessions, these are not fast, nor battery powered, but are hard to beat for the price ($100 on sale at Adorama). Also they have a 2% uniformity spec, which may be important for macro stacking certain subjects.

Best,

Mike
zzffnn

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Mike.

So what is the fastest possible firing speed of Studio 300 AC? That price is great indeed
mawyatt

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know but would estimate something like once or twice per second at lowest power 1/16 and once every 2 seconds at full power. Certainly not good for recycle speed.

Best,

Mike
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Equipment Discussions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: