Strobe speed

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

mawyatt

Strobe speed

Post by mawyatt »

Just did a quick strobe test with the Nikon D850 using CH mode at 7 frames per second. This was an RF link with Adorama Flashpoint Rapid 600 studio strobe. It kept up at 1/4 power for about ~8 shots before missing, I was shooting >10 frames, and at 1/8 it kept up without a missed output.

The XPLOR 600 (AD600) using AC adapter was good as well, it couldn't quite keep up at 1/4, but only missed a few at 1/8 and didn't miss any at 1/16.

The Studio Strobe 300 AC couldn't keep up at 1/16, this was as low as it can go on power.

Anyway, for those folks that want to blast thru a stacking session the Rapid 600 Studio Strobe can probably keep up, and the XPLOR might work also.

Best,

Mike

zzffnn

Post by zzffnn »

Thank you very much for sharing this information, Mike.

So your test shows that Rapid 600 can keep up with 7 exposures per second, at 1/8 power. But it is much faster, at less power, I assume?

I looked into Rapid 600 and found the following confusing description about flash speed at Adorama:

"......under Multiflash Mode, where the stroboscopic frequency can reach 99 flashes per second. The High-Speed Flash Mode has controllable flash duration is so rapid, it is possible to arrest action at 1/19606s, with up to 10 exposures per second, or take it easy with 'slow' duration at a spectral rich 1/190s burst."

Can it really produce 99 fires per second, at lowest possible power?

I think about 30 fires per second will be more than good enough for me. And I don't usually require consistent color/power. Is the Rapid 600 or XPLOR the best bang for the buck?

I don't know about D850 or its CH (continuous high) mode. Is that mode using electronic shutter?
Selling my Canon FD 200mm F/2.8 lens

mawyatt

Post by mawyatt »

Yes, the Rapid can keep up at 7FPS at 1/8 power and almost for 1/4 power except it will miss an exposure after 8~9 frames. The Multi Mode each flash is not being individually triggered by the camera, just a fast burst of flash at up to 99 per second.

Both the Rapid 600 & XPLOR are great studio strobes, the XPLOR is battery powered & has the head extension option. The Rapid has a faster recharge, faster optical burst and has a special color control mode.

I use the Studio 300 AC for many of my macro sessions, these are not fast, nor battery powered, but are hard to beat for the price ($100 on sale at Adorama). Also they have a 2% uniformity spec, which may be important for macro stacking certain subjects.

Best,

Mike

zzffnn

Post by zzffnn »

Thanks, Mike.

So what is the fastest possible firing speed of Studio 300 AC? That price is great indeed

mawyatt

Post by mawyatt »

I don't know but would estimate something like once or twice per second at lowest power 1/16 and once every 2 seconds at full power. Certainly not good for recycle speed.

Best,

Mike

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic