Zeiss WL focus knobs

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Pau
Site Admin

Zeiss WL focus knobs

Post by Pau »

I have a Zeiss WL with its nice old style chromed focus knobs. The newer models have a less sexy but much easier to read plastic knobs externally similar to the ones at the typical gray Standards.

Because I still do focus stacks manually (in fact I bought the WL because its higher precision focus) I would prefer the new style kobs. These knobs are for sale ar Ebay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/AS-PICTURED-PA ... Swn-tZM1oc

My question is: are they interchangeable?. I don't want to change a well working focus block.
Pau

Choronzon

Post by Choronzon »

In short, no they are not.
I am not young enough to know everything.

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

Thanks, I suppose that the axis or even the whole focus mechanics could be different.
Some $$ saved :D
Pau

Ichthyophthirius

Post by Ichthyophthirius »

Hi Pau,

In the older WL, the movement of the main gear and the fine focus gear are independent of each other. The fine focus has a limited range of 2 mm.

It's very important to know this. For transport and shipping, you have to uncouple the fine focus mechanism by placing a thin piece of cardboard underneath it; see here http://www.mikroskopie-forum.de/index.p ... #msg157708

The coaxial planetary gear of the newer WL is different and much more robust.

Regards, Ichty

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

Ichty, thanks for the link.

I was somewhat lucky, the microscope was well packed but of course the focus block was not secured in that form.

In fact the scope was sold as "seller refurbished" but I it was not really refurbished, I needed to spend three whole days dismounting, lubing and adjusting the different parts, fortunately no definitive damage was found and the seller made a partial refound.

Luckily I was not aware of the fine focus fragility because it wasn't working fine but it was due to the misplacement of a wavy washer ane the too sticky grease, my ignorance avoided me a heart attack :D . Now it works nicely.

The new style blocks also have the two marks at 2mm so I think the fine focus has the same limitation, not traveling the whole coarse focus path like on simpler gray standards
Pau

Ichthyophthirius

Post by Ichthyophthirius »

Pau wrote:The new style blocks also have the two marks at 2mm so I think the fine focus has the same limitation, not traveling the whole coarse focus path like on simpler gray standards
Hi Pau,

Thank you for pointing this out. I didn't know; then I don't have to keep looking for one of the newer WL. I prefer the coaxial gear of the smaller Standards but from what you say, the WL only had the old style gearbox.

Regards, Ichty

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

AFAIK the WLs use the same focus blocks of the Universal ans PhoMi series, both in the old and new style.
In both cases the Universal blocks have the limit of 2mm fine focus and I suppose that the focus mechanics of new and old style are the same

From a PM III manual that shows the new style knobs:

I also love the focus of the small standards but with its lower resolution (5micron each mark vs 1 or 2micron) stacking at high magnification is painful
Pau

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

The mechanism in both focus blocks seems identical, but unfortunately the diameter of the axis that supports the knobs isn't: 5mm in new style vs 10mm in old style

At eBay now you can see pictures of the rear side of both models

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Zeiss-Universa ... 7675.l2557

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Zeiss-Universa ... 0011.m1850
Pau

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic