Technique for quickly framing subject at high mag.

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

cube-tube

Technique for quickly framing subject at high mag.

Post by cube-tube »

I came up with a very useful technique for framing a subject that I thought I should share.

If you are using a DSLR, you can shine a laser pointer through the viewfinder. The laser will appear as a dot on the subject in the exact center of the frame. When the subject is in focus, the laser will be focused to a sharp dot on the subject. When out of focus, the dot grows in diameter.

It is a very quick and easy way to approximate framing and focus before making fine adjustments with live-view. It is much quicker and less cumbersome than guessing and checking by adjusting the subject and then checking live view, especially when there is a specific location on the subject that you want to photograph.

I encourage you to try it!

Chris S.
Site Admin

Post by Chris S. »

A sighting laser is a big convenience in my workflow as well. :D

Demonstration and instructions can be found in this post: Laser aiming and focus in photomacrography.

cube-tube

Post by cube-tube »

That is so cool!

JW

Post by JW »

I've been doing this for years, but with a pin-point LED designed to illuminate gems and cut stones in display cases - works like a charm. But for me, I need to turn down the room lights to see the spot.
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see - Henry David Thoreau

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic