www.photomacrography.net :: View topic - Technique for quickly framing subject at high mag.
www.photomacrography.net Forum Index
An online community dedicated to the practices of photomacrography, close-up and macro photography, and photomicrography.
Photomacrography Front Page Amateurmicrography Front Page
Old Forums/Galleries

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Technique for quickly framing subject at high mag.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Macro and Micro Technique and Technical Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cube-tube

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:42 pm    Post subject: Technique for quickly framing subject at high mag. Reply with quote

I came up with a very useful technique for framing a subject that I thought I should share.

If you are using a DSLR, you can shine a laser pointer through the viewfinder. The laser will appear as a dot on the subject in the exact center of the frame. When the subject is in focus, the laser will be focused to a sharp dot on the subject. When out of focus, the dot grows in diameter.

It is a very quick and easy way to approximate framing and focus before making fine adjustments with live-view. It is much quicker and less cumbersome than guessing and checking by adjusting the subject and then checking live view, especially when there is a specific location on the subject that you want to photograph.

I encourage you to try it!
Chris S.
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A sighting laser is a big convenience in my workflow as well. Very Happy

Demonstration and instructions can be found in this post: Laser aiming and focus in photomacrography.
cube-tube

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is so cool!
JW

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been doing this for years, but with a pin-point LED designed to illuminate gems and cut stones in display cases - works like a charm. But for me, I need to turn down the room lights to see the spot.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Macro and Micro Technique and Technical Discussions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: