Any advantages of reversed lens over macro lens?

Just bought that first macro lens? Post here to get helpful feedback and answers to any questions you might have.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

dragonblade

Any advantages of reversed lens over macro lens?

Post by dragonblade »

I use my father's trusty Canon FD 50mm macro lens on both 35mm film and digital (Micro 4/3 format.) Though these days, I use it a lot more with digital. Now and then I'm intrigued by people who use reversed lenses for macro photography. Any advantages of this over using a macro lens? Would there be any increase in magnification with a reversed lens set up? I guess that would depend on the focal length of the reversed lens? Shorter the better, I guess. Regardless, I could always add the extension tube to the macro lens and get decent magnification there too.

Now on to a related query. Ive ordered a Canon bellows for use with FD lenses via eBay. I would like to mate that with my M4/3 camera + adapter and use the Canon FD 50mm macro lens on the other side for photographing the heads of flies - focusing on the compound eyes. However, would I get any better results using a reversed lens on the bellows instead of the macro lens?

Chris S.
Site Admin

Post by Chris S. »

Dragonblade,

The general rules are as follows:
  • 1) To get more magnification, add extension--such as with extension tubes or bellows.

2) When magnification from extension exceeds 1:1 (1x), you'll probably get better results by also reversing the lens. This keeps most lenses in a regime closer to their designed use. (Exceptions can include specialty lenses originally designed for greater than 1x magnifications.)
So reversing a lens doesn't increase magnification per se--it improves the rendering of magnification gained by increased extension.

I see no reason why you can't reverse your dad's macro lens on the bellows.

--Chris S.

dragonblade

Post by dragonblade »

Chris S. wrote:
I see no reason why you can't reverse your dad's macro lens on the bellows.

--Chris S.
Good thinking! Though I might be a bit worried about exposing the rear of the macro lens to various subjects - just in case something comes into contact with it. If I was to reverse a lens, I might be tempted to get a second hand Takumar M42 lens for a lowish price. Basically a 'disposable' lens. Pity such lenses are going for higher prices these days. Out of curiosity, would the aperture blades still open / close with a reversed lens?

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

To protect the rear side of a lens when reversed you can add a short extension tube (although if not very short it will cut your working distance and would difficult the illumination of the subject)

About the diaphragm, I don't know about Canon FD. Many manual lenses remain wide open when dismounted out of the camera while others remain closed at the chosen aperture, what's your case?. In the first case you can secure the lever that closes the aperture with any DIY trick like rubber band, adhesive tape...

For insect eye details (magnification around or over 5X) you'll be better served with a microscope objective
Pau

Chris S.
Site Admin

Post by Chris S. »

dragonblade wrote:Out of curiosity, would the aperture blades still open / close with a reversed lens?
With older lenses with physical aperture rings, certainly. With some modern lenses that lack physical aperture rings, not easily. Nikon lenses prior to the new E designated ones are no problem. Modern Canon lenses seem to let you control set the aperture on the camera before you remove the lens. Your dad's FD lens is older, right? Perhaps their apertures work better in this regard (I have no idea).

--Chris S.

dragonblade

Post by dragonblade »

Just now Ive removed the front and rear lens caps off a Canon FD lens and a Pentax Takumar M42 mount lens. With both lenses, I rotated the aperture rings but nothing happens. The aperture blades don't move.

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

With the FD search a lever, with the M42 press the pin
Pau

Deanimator

Post by Deanimator »

Pau wrote:To protect the rear side of a lens when reversed you can add a short extension tube (although if not very short it will cut your working distance and would difficult the illumination of the subject)
To protect the rear element of my reversed Minolta 50mm MD, I just bought a rear lans cap and ground the middle of it out with a Dremel tool. It was cheap and works great.
Last edited by Deanimator on Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

Good idea, Deanimator
Last edited by Pau on Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pau

Deanimator

Post by Deanimator »

dragonblade wrote:Out of curiosity, would the aperture blades still open / close with a reversed lens?
It depends upon the lens.

They definitely do on my '81 vintage Minolta 50mm MD. It has a manual aperture ring.

Deanimator

Post by Deanimator »

Pau wrote:Good idea, Deanimator
Anybody who does that should try to get a soft type cap, as it's much easier to cut the top out with a razor knife than to grind it out with a power tool. It's a lot less messy too. Needless to say, I did it with a hard plastic cap...

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

:) Funny how that hard-plastic dust gets stuck to everything!

Or, if you happen to have an extension tube for the lens, use it as a lens hood, andsee if you can jamb something in there like a matchstick, to force the iris lever.
Chris R

zzffnn

Post by zzffnn »

dragonblade,

Please try searching YouTube or Google "manual aperture Canon FD 50 mm XXXX". Replace XXXX with your specific lens model.

With my Canon FD 50mm F/1.4 (non macro), I can manually change aperture. But it is hard to explain exactly how, without image or video. I learned it by watching YouTube video.
Selling my Canon FD 200mm F/2.8 lens

Deanimator

Post by Deanimator »

ChrisR wrote::) Funny how that hard-plastic dust gets stuck to everything!

Or, if you happen to have an extension tube for the lens, use it as a lens hood, andsee if you can jamb something in there like a matchstick, to force the iris lever.
Unfortunately, as close as I ever got to Macro with the Minolta XG1 was a reverse ring, with which I may have taken a grand total of 3-5 pictures.

An alternative would be to do what I did when I needed a lens hood for my Opteka 500mm mirror lens. I cut a strip out of an old plastic ring binder, rolled it into a tube, glued it together and then spray painted it flat black.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic